Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Settling in

Post Brick Wall: Henderson records in Newcastle

I am looking for Henderson records in Newcastle in early to mid 1800s.

Elizabeth (Lizzie) Ann Henderson was born about Jan 16 1843, in "Newcastle" according to her marriage announcement. Her father was listed as John Henderson. Possible parish birth record has baptism of Jan 28 1844 - St. Nicholas Parish Newcastle Upon Tyne Northumberland. Father John, Mother Jane.

She married John Q.A. Williamson in Jersey City, NJ, USA, in 1870.

Lizzie's daughter Elizabeth reports in family letters that Lizzie's mother was "Barbara" Ward; however, Lizzie's death certificate (in 1879) lists her mother's name as "Jeannie" Ward.

The death record also states she had been in NJ for 28 years, so, since 1851.

I did find a ship's log with the following Henderson family arriving from Scotland on July 14, 1851 (ages in parentheses; all listed as same family in ship's log):

John (29), Jane (29), Mary (6), Agnes (5), Elizabeth (2);
    William (27), Thomas (19);
    Charles (24), Margaret (23), Elizabeth (2), Agnes (11 mos.)

NJ records have not been helpful otherwise.

I need to confirm Lizzie's parents and then find her grandparents on both sides.

BMD certificates started in England in 1837, have you looked for them for your people?

PS Welcome to the British Genealogy Forum.

Settling in

Thanks for the welcome! No, I haven't had much luck searching from the US in British records. Will head to Family History (Mormon) library as soon as they reopen, but do you have direct links for the BMD records there? I have membership at all such as Ancestry, and My Heritage, but have had no luck there.

Famous for offering help & advice

16 January 1843 is a very precise date - where is that from ?

using the GRO website I find an Elizabeth Ann Henderson birth registered 3rd quarter 1842, Sunderland Union, mother's maiden name GENT, volume 24 page 258

There are several Elizabeth Henderson births registered in that part of the country in 1842/3/4 without middle name Ann (but none with mother's maiden name WARD)

in Durham Marriages on FMP (Findmypast) a John Henderson marries a Jane Ward in 1843

your ship's log seems to suggest Elizabeth was born 1849 rather than 1843 ?

I now see Lizzie's date of birth from Find-A-Grave

Lizzie H(enderson) Williamson born 16 July 1843 died 7 May 1879
    husband John Quereau Aymar Williamson born 15 January 1841 died 23 January 1917

married New York 1870.

are we sure Lizzie had a middle name ?

Quote Originally Posted by wimsey View Post
    are we sure Lizzie had a middle name ?
    I see you are getting middle name Ann from the baptism record you found. Is she called Ann anywhere else ?

Welcome to the Brit-Gen forums Laurie.
    First off for a comprehensive list of both free and pay per view sites in many countries Cyndi's list is invaluable. See here

FreeBMD is a free site where you can search for BMD's Sept 1/4 1837 onwards. It does not give mother's maiden names until 1912 but works really well with the GRO index which does give the mmn's but only allows searches for a given date +/- 2 years. The GRO index is free but you do have to sign up.

There are also the sites FreeCen and FreeReg. Even the pay per view sites such as ancestry and Findmypast are searchable for index result, once you have signed up, without paying any money. Also they both have free library versions so it would be worth asking your local library if they have one.

If you take a look around the forums, read the 'stickies' at the top of each one where there are links to sites for that particular county/country.

Good luck with your research

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Settling in

Default Source for Lizzie

16 January 1843 is a very precise date - where is that from ?

using the GRO website I find an Elizabeth Ann Henderson birth registered 3rd quarter 1842, Sunderland Union, mother's maiden name GENT, volume 24 page 258

There are several Elizabeth Henderson births registered in that part of the country in 1842/3/4 without middle name Ann (but none with mother's maiden name WARD)
    This date is taken from our family's book, page 13:

Williamson, J. A. (1896). Genealogical Records of the Williamson Family in America: Tracing the Wives Back to the Earliest Settlers. United States: (n.p.).

Ward is referenced in several documents relating to Lizzie's mother, so that is what I am searching for.

Settling in

Default Birth Date

in Durham Marriages on FMP (Findmypast) a John Henderson marries a Jane Ward in 1843

your ship's log seems to suggest Elizabeth was born 1849 rather than 1843 ?
    RE: Durham -- thank you! Maybe a lead?

RE: Ship -- I am not even 50% sure that this is the correct family to follow as far as emigration. The dates don't match up. But it's the only one so far that seems to check all the boxes with other family members.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast