Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Settling in

Wow!! This is exactly what I was hoping for and sends me in so many directions. I appreciate your geographical knowledge because I have no idea how far or close these places are...so this is extremely helpful, given the time period and how people travelled. And you found a Barbara! Again, thanks so, so much. A very helpful group of folks here.

Settling in

No this has been the problem here...all the records are NY and NJ -- the family resided in New Jersey but I am lost when it comes to her father. She would have been too young in 1851 to arrive by herself (most likely) but her father is not in the records thus far. I have just sent off (paid) for a record in NJ of a John Henderson death record that may help. Census records have not been helpful because there are so many Elizabeth, John, Jane Hendersons in the area at the time. Can't verify yet.

Settling in

I did order this marriage record from the GRO, thanks!

Settling in

Interestingly, there is also a Thomas William Ward Young listed as being born in 1845:
    NAME: Thomas William Ward Young
    REGISTRATION DATE: 1845
    QUARTER OF THE YEAR: Jul-Aug-Sep
    REGISTRATION PLACE: Newcastle upon Tyne, Northumberland, England
    VOLUME: 25
    PAGE: 335

Famous for offering help & advice

There is a burial for him in 1846, address Clayton Street

Settling in

OK so maybe he was their first Thomas William, then another was born. Also, the Elizabeth Henderson born in Newcastle in 1844 had a mother with mn SCOTT -- which didn't appear until after I ordered the record, in the confirmation email. I am trying to cancel the order. Frustrating!

Quote Originally Posted by Laurie in NH View Post
    the Elizabeth Henderson born in Newcastle in 1844 had a mother with mn SCOTT -- which didn't appear until after I ordered the record, in the confirmation email. I am trying to cancel the order. Frustrating!
    Now that IS frustrating... why on earth couldn't they include that in the index!!

Unfortunately before 1874 it was the responsibility of the registrar (not the parents) to ensure that all births were registered, so there are large numbers that simply went unregistered. It looks like Elizabeth may be one of them

Settling in

Thank you Jomot1, you've been such a big help. I am seeing all of the Ward/Young records on Ancestry, so you've led me in a good direction for more family connection possibilities!

Another likely record for you....

Burial at St Nicholas, Newcastle:
    16 Dec 1851 Jane Henderson aged 27, Queen Street

This is the reference for the death certificate, which might tell you the name of her husband (women's death certificates often do), and the name of the informant.

HENDERSON, JANE aged 27 GRO Reference: 1851 D Quarter in NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE Volume 25 Page 257

Perhaps her aunt Barbara took her in? Maybe worth a re-think about the emigration year?

Settling in

Quote Originally Posted by Jomot1 View Post
    Another likely record for you....

Burial at St Nicholas, Newcastle:
    16 Dec 1851 Jane Henderson aged 27, Queen Street

This is the reference for the death certificate, which might tell you the name of her husband (women's death certificates often do), and the name of the informant.

HENDERSON, JANE aged 27 GRO Reference: 1851 D Quarter in NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE Volume 25 Page 257

Perhaps her aunt Barbara took her in? Maybe worth a re-think about the emigration year?
    Wow... thank you. Could clear up the mystery? Thanks for digging in.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast