Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Settling in

I have seen the middle name only a couple of times. So no, not 100% sure on middle name. The Find A Grave info is correct, and I have been to the graves in Green-Wood Cemetery, Brooklyn, NY. (These are my g-g-gparents.)

Famous for offering help & advice

Quote Originally Posted by Laurie in NH View Post
    RE: Durham -- thank you! Maybe a lead?
    maybe. I don't have a subscription to Findmypast to see the details. They don't have an image, just a transcription.

In the FreeBMD website I think this marriage is in the Gateshead registration district

John Henderson
    Jane Ward
    Gateshead
    Volume 24
    Page 113
    4th quarter 1843

with that information you would be able to order a paper copy of the marriage certificate from the GRO (General Register Office) website

https://www.gov.uk/general-register-office

This date is taken from our family's book, page 13:

Williamson, J. A. (1896). Genealogical Records of the Williamson Family in America: Tracing the Wives Back to the Earliest Settlers. United States: (n.p.).
    you will have realised that 16 JANUARY 1843 is not the date that Find-A-Grave have (16 JULY 1843)

If that's the correct baptism, then the address was 'Close', which was a very poor area close to the quayside (my family also lived there).

Gateshead & Newcastle are on opposite banks of the River Tyne, so it wouldn't be unusual to move between the two.

I can't see any other baptism to parents John & Jane where John is a Blacksmith.

A possible 1851 census record is at Queen Street, St Nicholas, Newcastle - HO107, Piece 2406, Folio 447, Page 50

Jane Henderson 27 Married born Newcastle
    Elizabeth Henderson 7 daur born Newcastle
    Thomas W Young 3 nephew b Newcastle

The birth record for the nephew - Thomas W Young - shows his mother's maiden name was WARD:

YOUNG, THOMAS WILLIAM mmn WARD GRO Reference: 1847 D Quarter in OF NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE UNION Volume 25 Page 331

Queen Street is virtually the next street to the Close. The map below shows Queen Street top centre, and the un-named road running from Sandhill to Forth Banks is the Close.

https://maps.nls.uk/view/101099348#z...7104&layers=BT

Lizzie's daughter Elizabeth reports in family letters that Lizzie's mother was "Barbara" Ward; however, Lizzie's death certificate (in 1879) lists her mother's name as "Jeannie" Ward.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jomot1 View Post
    A possible 1851 census record is at Queen Street, St Nicholas, Newcastle - HO107, Piece 2406, Folio 447, Page 50

Jane Henderson 27 Married born Newcastle
    Elizabeth Henderson 7 daur born Newcastle
    Thomas W Young 3 nephew b Newcastle

The birth record for the nephew - Thomas W Young - shows his mother's maiden name was WARD:

YOUNG, THOMAS WILLIAM mmn WARD GRO Reference: 1847 D Quarter in OF NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE UNION Volume 25 Page 331
    Other YOUNG children with the mmn WARD include John Douglas Downing Young born 1842.
    YOUNG, JOHN DOUGLAS DOWNING mmn WARD GRO Reference: 1842 M Quarter in NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE UNION Volume 25 Page 314

He can be found in the 1851 & 1861 census with his parents John & BARBARA Young (nee Ward), so I think this is where Lizzie's daughter has got that name from - she was more likely Jane/Jeannie's sister.

1851 Newcastle - HO107, Piece 2405, Folio 178, Page 64
    John Young 33 Grocer b Newcastle
    Barbry Young 33 wife b Newcastle
    John D D Young 9 son b Newcastle

1861 Newcastle - RG9, Piece 3819, Folio 71, Page 18
    John Young 42 Licenced Victualler b Newcastle
    Barbra Young 43 wife b Newcastle
    John D Young 19 son b Newcastle
    + various boarders, visitors & servants

I've checked the GRO and also FreeBMD and there is no Elizabeth Henderson registered in 1844, but I've also checked Newcastle Registrars - and they do have one!

Unfortunately the index gives no other information other than first name, last name & year, and buying a certificate this way will definitely be a lot slower, but it might be the missing link you're looking for:

https://registrarscertificates.newca...ltprocess.aspx

can I ask Laurie - between arriving in the USA in 1851 and getting married in 1870 is Elizabeth/Lizzie Henderson on any census with her parents and/or siblings ?

I'm trying to get a handle on the rest of her family. Going by that 1851 passenger list I haven't found either a Mary or Agnes Henderson in the birth index with mother's maiden name Ward.

Settling in

Thank you...and YES I just noticed that typo of Jan vs. July. I do think July is correct, but will proceed further to verify.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast