Starting to feel at home

Default Can a record be found?

Searches to date: I have searched British marriages overseas on Find my Past, and I think all possible records on Family Search and Ancestry. I have also looked on the British Archives and found nothing.

I'm looking for a marriage between Wilfred Francis Ross (British Citizen, Roman Catholic) and Marie Elise Lionnet, daughter of a French diplomat, (French Citizen, presumed Roman Catholic) wedding approx 1942-1943, their oldest child was born August 1944 in Alexandria, Egypt. Family records say they were married by a bishop in a cathedral somewhere close to Cairo.

An entry in a family history written by my father, Wilfred's nephew gives a possible marriage place Ash Shatibi, Al Iskandariyah, Egypt.

Wilfred was born 26 May 1913 in Walsall, Staffordshire, England. In a 1944 record in a newsletter for the boarding school he attended Wilfred is described as living in Ismailia which is south of Port Said. This would have been after his marriage.

He was in the British Merchant Navy and later a Suez Canal pilot until the nationalization of the canal in 1956. When the family returned to England their port of embarkation was Port Said.

The only other possibility I can think of, is French records for diplomats named Lionnet, in Egypt in the 1940s. But no idea where to find such records.

Any ideas would be great.
    Thanks!

You seem to have tried most places, but have you tried a marriage announcement in the UK press (BMD section)? His parents or other family might have placed one - it was frequently done. FMP has a lot of newspapers.
    There is a site called Cyndi’s List which is simply a catalogue of genealogy sites worldwide. You might find a French source there.

Starting to feel at home

Thanks Lesley
    Good idea, I have not looked in newspapers, and I do have a contact in France who might be able to check French newspapers, though it seems quite unlikely that in 1944 France that what newspapers might have existed would have social announcements.

Also the papers from anywhere in the staffs area, especially if it was a Cathedral marriage.

Super Moderator

Do you have a tree on Ancestry? Yes looks like it is you as the tree belongs to a person in Canada

Starting to feel at home

So far I have checked FMP and didn't find anything, other sources will have to wait for a while.

Starting to feel at home

Yes, that's me, and Wilfred( Wilf) and the family is also on WikiTree.