Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Famous for offering help & advice

Too late to add to the last post, but in Tasmania Lewis was a Shipwright, and in SA he was the licenced victualler of the Shipwright's Arms, Lefevre Peninsula, but was later declared bankrupt.

If it turns out to be the correct family, then there is quite a bit of information on Trove.

Knowledgeable and helpful

Post 2 says Lewis was born in Hamburg. Ludwig is German for Lewis or Louis. Is this a clue to help? Pwholt

Loves to help with queries

I should say EveryThing that has been posted is a Great Help. Talk about a lesson in "Thinking Outside the Square!" Thank you so much everyone. Interesting how widespread this family has been. I did find a "Lewis Wilson" dying in Eden district (so not far from where Susan is born) in 1891 in NSW BDM with no father or mother recorded, which might be him, esp as a son George was recorded as working in the area as well. No clue where Caroline (Phillips/Walker)Lewis died found. Very Grateful for all your time spent, on behalf of my friend.

Also the Lewis Wilson of Eden area (carpenter and farmer) was declared insolvent in 1870

Famous for offering help & advice

Quote Originally Posted by JandL View Post
    No clue where Caroline (Phillips/Walker)Lewis died found.
    See post #2
    Mother - Caroline Watkins (or Phillips) 26 July 1923 Herefordshire England, died 29 July 1880 Pambula NSW
    There are two potential deaths in the NSW BMD - Caroline A (parents George & Elizabeth), and Caroline (parents John & Sophia).

Yes, I have seen these Eden deaths and will try and follow up. For any interested persons reading this, I have tracked Lewis Wilson as a German crew onboard a ship, charged in Sydney for stealing from a passenger, and sentenced to 7 years - hence Tasmania. He is granted TofLeave before marrying Caroline, and eventually his Cert of Freedom. Then found him on passenger list to South Aust with wife and 4 children. He was a bit of a scoundrel it seems, various news items regarding theft.... insolvent S Aust and then again in Eden (assuming one and the same person). We are getting a very scrappy dinner here tonight, as my afternoon has been spent checking him out!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12