Question 24th Battalion the queens (London regiment).

I'm trying (with great difficulty)to find any information on the 24th Battalion the queens London regiment. Can anyone please help? I have interest in this regiment because my grandfather served in this force. His name was Henry Friend Russell, service number 735071, rank Private.

What I'm particularly interested in is the actions of the regiment during its time in France in ww1. What were the achievements of the regiment? What were their failures? What were the achievements of Henry Friend Russell?

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hello pauldogs-0,

Welcome to British-Genealogy.

Firstly, I've moved your post to the more appropriate WW1 forum.

I'm not a military expert but I do know that The National Archives in Kew have war diaries for most regiments. However searching for "24th Battalion the queens London regiment" brought up the following results, none of which seem particularly helpful.
    https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/...ondon+regiment
    I've probably confused the system by using too many words - perhaps 'the queens London regiment' would have been a better starting point! Other members are much more expert than me, and I'm sure at least one of them will be along to help. In the meantime you could be brave yourself and have a fiddle around TNA's website. https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
    You're unlikely to find Henry mentioned by name in the war diaries.
    Have you been lucky enough to find his service records? About 70% of those records were destroyed by fire, and then bombing in WW2.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Just a little background for others wanting to help

UK, Army Registers of Soldiers' Effects, 1901-1929
    Henry Friend Russell killed in action in 23 July 1918 France
    Credit of effects July 1918
    3 pounds 8 shilling and 7 pence 3 September 1917 Sole legatee Widow Maria J

The UK, World War I Service Medal and Award Rolls, 1914-1920 and the UK, British Army World War I Medal Rolls Index Cards, 1914-1920 don't give much more information other than the Medal Roll card does have another service number 616209 alongside the 19th London Regiment and the number 735071 alongside the 24th London regiment. There are no service records with either of these service numbers for him.
    Christina

Whoa, Just found Henry Friend Russell service number 616209 service record under the name Henry George Russell but the original image says Henry Friend I think even though it is very hard to read. I'll take a closer look.
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Whoa just found a service record for Henry Friend Russell service number 616209 in the UK, British Army World War I Service Records, 1914-1920.
    He is transcribed under his son's name Henry George Russell. I checked Henry Friend and his wife Maria Jane on the 1911 census with their children Henry George age 4, Joseph William 2 and James Phillip 5 months, these 3 children are named on the service record along with two others the youngest of which is Ethel.
    Do you have this record? The writing is very faint and there are great black blobs covering parts of the pages.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

CWGC has him under “Friend” and 735071. 24Btn London Regt. KIA 23 May 1918 age 36. He’s buried at Warloy-Baillon Communal Cemetery Extension, close to Amiens in France. That’s the Somme, of course. The site lists his wife and her address. The site’s worth a look CWGC dot org.

Try searching for the Btn without the “Queen’s” bit of the name.

Famous for offering help & advice