Default National Service - Classifications

For his National Service, my dad served as a Private with the 1st Battalion Somerset Light Infantry. After completing about 6 months of service, his record says "Reclassifed 1 Star" and a year later "Reclass Two Star". What does this mean? Are they mini promotions? Thanks.

Bev, was this wartime service? Can you give us an idea of the time frame?

PS I see that this was your first post - welcome to the British Genealogy Forum! Have a look round, we have a lot of forums for different topics - the ones marks as "sticky" at the tops are general info for that particular topic.

Thank you. It wasn't wartime, it was 1946 to 48. He was in the 1st battalion of the Somerset Light Infantry. He had just finished his general training when he was reclassifed 1 star, so perhaps it is to do with that. He was then posted to India where the 2 star came a year later. His battalion were the last troops to leave India after independance.

Have you applied for his records? There's a message about how, where, etc HERE.

You would need a copy of his death certificate, 30 pounds and a lot of patience as the assorted lockdowns have created a queue.

Thank you for the info. I have got his records, amazingly I applied for them in mid-November and they arrived a couple of weeks ago Perhaps they are getting to grips with the backlog at long last! Or maybe I was just lucky.

A good omen!