Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default William Porter Royal Irish Rifles

Hi there, so today I found out some great information about my great grandfather from a family friend.

That my great grandfather served for the army in world war 1 in france for 3 years! which I think is unbelievable and is reg no was 13399 and we think a family member Samuel Porter who was killed in action on 1/7/16 is reg no was 13398. But of course I'm after more information e.g like a squad picture if possible to see what he looked like then as my father has never seen a picture of him. So I would like someones advice on how far I can dig deep to find what I can, I'd gladly appreciate all the help I can get and also my fathers Uncle Sydney Haithwaite who was from York who was killed in action on Normandy beach in 1944 1st July.

Best Regards

Craig.P

Famous for offering help & advice

Its unlikely that you'll find a photograph of him outside of the family, although you could try the local newspapers.

His service number indicates he was in the 15th Royal Irish Rifles, and you can download their war diary for free from the National Archives, or its also on Ancestry.

https://discovery.nationalarchives.g...ils/r/C7354027

Sargeant Samuel Porter Royal Irish Rifles 15th Battalion who was killed in action on 1/7/16 service number 13398 was the son of William Porter of 17, Alberlville Drive, Belfast. Do the father's name and address connect with your family?

You may not know that 60%plus of WW1 service records were destroyed by bombing/fire/water in WW11 so it is a lucky person who finds their ancestors records. The surviving records are on ancestry and Findmypast both of which are pay per view although some libraries do have a free version of them You local library may have one of them if you don't have access. Medal Roll index cards do survive and do Medal and Award records also on ancestry and FMP

WW11 service records are still held by the MoD but can be applied for. This link explains and gives a link where you can read about just how much information you are allowed access to and where you can download the application forms. However the cost is 30 pounds and you will need a copy of his death certificate and his date of birth. As you already have his regiment number that should help but it is not a requirement of the application.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

The Commonwealth War Graves Commission site says that Sydney Haithwaite was the son of Thomas and Grace Haithwaite of York.
    https://www.cwgc.org/find-records/fi...ey-haithwaite/
    Click on the links to see other details, including a photo of his gravestone.

Regarding his service records, because he was killed in the war you don't need a death certificate but you do need his date of birth so you might need to send for a copy of his birth certificate. You can order a PDF copy for seven quid. His birth was registered in September quarter 1920.
    https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/c...ates/login.asp

For photos in local newspapers, you need the British Newspaper Archive. Not all newspapers have been uploaded yet, but you could strike gold.

For family details, you probably know that Sydney had a load of siblings, beginning with Clara Annie born in 1910. His parents Thomas Haithwaite and Jane Grace Ward Ryan were married in 1910. Jane was Thomas' second wife.
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Northern Whig, 14 Aug 1916
    WEEK-END CASUALTIES
    Royal Irish Rifles - Missing
    Porter, 13398, Cpl S (Belfast)

Also reported in the Belfast News Letter, 14 Aug 1916
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

FMP has a death record of Samuel Porter, age 23, died 1 Jul 1916, Sergeant, No. 13398, 15th Bn, Royal Irish Rifles, Thiepval Memorial, son of William Porter of 17 Alberlville Drive, Belfast

"Alberlville" didn't ring true and it appears it is "Albertville Drive".

Belfast Telegraph, 25 Feb 1916
    DEATHS
    PORTER - February 24th, 1916, at her residence, 17 Albertville Drive, Belfast, Susan wife of Wm. Porter. The remains of my dearly beloved wife will be conveyed from above address, at 2.30pm, on to-morrow (Saturday) for interment in City Cemetery.
    WM. A M'EWEN PORTER

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post
    Sargeant Samuel Porter Royal Irish Rifles 15th Battalion who was killed in action on 1/7/16 service number 13398 was the son of William Porter of 17, Alberlville Drive, Belfast. Do the father's name and address connect with your family?

You may not know that 60%plus of WW1 service records were destroyed by bombing/fire/water in WW11 so it is a lucky person who finds their ancestors records. The surviving records are on ancestry and Findmypast both of which are pay per view although some libraries do have a free version of them You local library may have one of them if you don't have access. Medal Roll index cards do survive and do Medal and Award records also on ancestry and FMP

WW11 service records are still held by the MoD but can be applied for. This link explains and gives a link where you can read about just how much information you are allowed access to and where you can download the application forms. However the cost is 30 pounds and you will need a copy of his death certificate and his date of birth. As you already have his regiment number that should help but it is not a requirement of the application.
    Christina
    Hi, yes I did find that. I asked my father and he seems to think its a cousin because of the age, we think William is Samuels dad and my great grandfathers (william) uncle

Brick wall demolition expert!

If you know where any of the men lived then I would definitely recommend looking at the newspapers that are local to that area.

I belong to the local branch of Lancashire's Family History Society, and they have been creating a database of references to local service personnel that appeared in the local newspaper the Chorley Guardian between 1914-1918, and are now starting on WW2. Most but not all reports of deaths include photos.

There's a photograph of Lce-Sergt. Samuel Porter, Royal Irish Rifles, in the Larne Times, Saturday 21 April 1917.
    This is Samuel on the 1911 Census - https://census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai001425998/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast