Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by McLellan View Post
    Thanks Sue, sounds promising I'll look it up
    If you search for William Deeth, Grimsby, the "free peep" at the 1921 Census returns the same result provided by Sue at #6 above

FMP has an 1893 electoral register entry for a William Deeth, 9 Freshney Street, Grimsby
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Thanks helachau, almach and grisel, I’ve now solved this problem but I certainly wouldn’t have without their help.

Famous for offering help & advice

Thanks, we always love a challenge here!

I've been looking for Alice Weeds who seems to have disappeared after 1891. No obvious death in the Grimsby area so far.
    There is a marriage of an Alice Weeds in Yarmouth in 1896 however and following it up, that Alice seems to have had quite a life. She married Charles Robert Hall in 1896 then bigamously married Israel Southgate in March Cambridgeshire as Ellen Weeds in Feb 1900. She later bigamously married Herbert James Warnes in 1909 in Lowestoft as Alice Weeds and lastly Walter Burrows in Chelmsford in 1911 as Alice Wade. Press reports Stamford Mercury 1901, Essex Chronicle and Essex Newsman 1912. She received 12 months hard labour in 1912 at Essex Assize.

Of course this Alice may have absolutely nothing to do with Ethel's mother Alice and could be a complete red herring. It did make interesting reading though!

To add to the above - the first marriage to Charles Hall was in Yarmouth but in 1912 Charles was noted as being a fisherman working in Grimsby.

Her prison record is in FMP prison registers under Alice Hall Warnes dob 1873 but I am unable to check details.

FMP Prison Registers

Office No - 543-13; Name/Aliases - Alice Hall or Warnes 18400, Holloway; Date & Place of birth - 1873 Yarmouth; Height - 4' 11"; Complexion - sw; Hair - bk; Eyes - bn; Marks - nil; Offence - Bigamy, Essex Assizes (Chelmsford); Sentence & Date of Conviction - 12 mths, 8-6-1912; Date of liberation and intended address - 9-4-13, London.-
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Thanks for that helachau.
    Haddiscoe is a bit inland from Yarmouth as a pob but not impossibly far away. There are only two Alice Weeds born around that time, and the Alice born Haddiscoe is the nearer in date and place. This does make me think that the much married Alice could well be Ethel's mother.... If so, Ethel didn't have the easiest start in life.

Ha ha, darker and darker, a genuine black sheep

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123