Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Famous for offering help & advice

not what you're asking but the John Sharplin born c.1842 is on the 1881 census as ropemaker onboard HMS Pembroke, moored in Kent (you probably knew that)

also you probably knew that Anc*stry has a naval record for John Sharplin born 12 May 1843 "first ship served on Challenger [1872-76], last ship served on Pembroke"

I guess it might be possible to take the data set "Royal Navy Register of Seamens Services 1848-1939" then enter the word Challenger and see what results

Famous for offering help & advice

Quote Originally Posted by wimsey View Post
    I guess it might be possible to take the data set "Royal Navy Register of Seamens Services 1848-1939" then enter the word Challenger and see what results
    I've just tried that. You can enter the word Challenger as either the first or last ship served on. I tried first ship and got 300 hits but a lot of those are other later ships named Challenger, but you can see which are the 1872 ones (if you see what I mean).
    Of course logically Challenger wouldn't be either the first or last ship for some crew members.

by the way, why is this query in the 1914-18 section ?

On the 1871 Census a John Sharplin, age 27, ropemaker, is aboard the "Forte" in the East Indies.

The Times of India, 24 Aug 1870
    THEATRICALS ABOARD THE "FORTE"
    ".....................
    The program concluded with the laughable and side cracking farce "My Wife's Come", consisting of the following cast of characters: Mr John Pretty John, Mr C Green; Plummy, as apothecary, Mr Sharplin; Simmons, Mr Harris; Mrs Pretty John, Miss Harrison; Clementine, Miss Marsland; Dorothy, Miss Edwards. This piece went off amidst roars of laughter, and brought a most pleasant and exhilarating evening' amusement to a close, and we hope that this is but one of a series to be given by the Amateurs of the "Forte" during their stay in Bombay".

I have linked others named in the article to the '71 "Forte" Census.
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12