Thread: medals

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default medals

My father did not claim his medals after leaving the RAFin 1945. how can i find out what he was entitled to and can i claim them?

Famous for offering help & advice

Information here: https://www.gov.uk/apply-medal-or-ve...ly-for-a-medal

My father was in the RAF a few years after yours, and claimed his about 15 years ago (General Service Medal with clasp).

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thank you Jomot1 i am not the eldest child so will have to pass it on to my brother. Do i apply not knowing what he was entitled to ?

Famous for offering help & advice

I don't think they would necessarily expect NoK to know what medals the deceased person was entitled to, so I'd just put something like 'any medals due'.

If you know where he served and approximate dates then you might be able to work it out from the link, but I wouldn't worry too much - they have the records!

Dad served in Egypt so was only entitled to the the General Service Medal, then about 50 years later the Government announced that a Clasp had also been awarded to accompany it, and Dad applied for his medal & clasp a few years after that.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

I know he served in India but he told me he was shipped home with malaria a few weeks before being eligible for the India Star. Hopefully he was wrong but the general service medal should also be on his list. My mother will be next as she was in the WRAF.