Thread: Degge Family

Default Degge Family

New to the site. My Degge family goes back to Hugh Degge/ William Degge/Jeffrey Degge/Thomas Degge/Sir Isaac Degge (Sir Simon Degges' brother)/ John Degge (emigrant) in Stramshall/Uttoxeter. I am planning a trip in April and am looking forward to visiting the churches and experiencing the birthplace and stomping grounds of my ancestors. If anyone has any information on the Degge/Degg family in Staffordshire (places to see, things to know, etc..)I'd appreciate any input.
    Thanks, and see you in April!

Stramshall only became a parish in its own right in 1853, the church of St.Michael and All Saints dating from 1850-52, so I assume your ancestors had to trek two miles to Uttoxeter for baptisms and marriages. The tower and spire of St.Mary the Virgin in Uttoxeter date from the 14th century but most of the church is a Victorian rebuild.
    The Museum of Uttoxeter Life is well worth a visit (NB closed on Mondays), as are the ruins of nearby Croxden Abbey, founded in the 12th century and disestablished in 1538.
    The Olde Talbot pub in Market Place, Uttoxeter, is a historic inn dating from the late 16th century. It originated in the 13th century, when the town was granted its royal charter in 1252.
    Enjoy your trip!
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Mackay View Post
    Stramshall only became a parish in its own right in 1853, the church of St.Michael and All Saints dating from 1850-52, so I assume your ancestors had to trek two miles to Uttoxeter for baptisms and marriages. The tower and spire of St.Mary the Virgin in Uttoxeter date from the 14th century but most of the church is a Victorian rebuild.
    The Museum of Uttoxeter Life is well worth a visit (NB closed on Mondays), as are the ruins of nearby Croxden Abbey, founded in the 12th century and disestablished in 1538.
    The Olde Talbot pub in Market Place, Uttoxeter, is a historic inn dating from the late 16th century. It originated in the 13th century, when the town was granted its royal charter in 1252.
    Enjoy your trip!
    Thank you Sue. Can't wait! Is the Museum of Uttoxeter Life the one at Redfern's Cottage or is it a different one?

Quote Originally Posted by ADegge View Post
    Thank you Sue. Can't wait! Is the Museum of Uttoxeter Life the one at Redfern's Cottage or is it a different one?
    Same place
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

A very warm welcome to Brit-gen.
    If you are looking for places to visit with links to the family, you may wish to consider visiting Lichfield Cathedral. White Kennett, Bishop and antiquarian, refers to "Simon Degge" in his "A register and chronicle ecclesiastical and civil; etc,etc", published 1728 and includes a section based on "Willis' Survey of Cathedrals". It reads

"The Donors and Benefactors of the Repairing and Beautifying the Cathedral Church of Lichfield, under the pious Care and Conduct of Bishop Hacket, have their Name put over each respective Stall, in Letters of Gold, as follow, with the Title of each Dignitary"

He goes on to describe the locations of these Stalls -

On the Right Hand of the Choir on the South Side - 8 names recorded
    The ten following middle Stalls belonging to the Vicar, Choral and Lay Officers of the Church, are then inscribed - 10 names recorded
    Above these follow the other prebendal Stalls on this side - 8 names recorded, the first of which reads

"Pipa Parva, Simon Degge Armig F.F"

It's the "Armig" that leads me to think this might be your "rellie".

Prebend de Pipa Parva
    The prebend of Pipa Parva was situated in Pipehill, near Lichfield

I have checked if there's a Google books (searchable version) of White Kennett's book on line but have drawn a blank. No guarantee it's "your" Simon but might be worth checking out with the Church authorities at lichfield.
    There's a lot to be found re. Simon but I can find nothing about Isaac!
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Thumbs up Good information. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by helachau View Post
    A very warm welcome to Brit-gen.
    If you are looking for places to visit with links to the family, you may wish to consider visiting Lichfield Cathedral. White Kennett, Bishop and antiquarian, refers to "Simon Degge" in his "A register and chronicle ecclesiastical and civil; etc,etc", published 1728 and includes a section based on "Willis' Survey of Cathedrals". It reads

"The Donors and Benefactors of the Repairing and Beautifying the Cathedral Church of Lichfield, under the pious Care and Conduct of Bishop Hacket, have their Name put over each respective Stall, in Letters of Gold, as follow, with the Title of each Dignitary"

He goes on to describe the locations of these Stalls -

On the Right Hand of the Choir on the South Side - 8 names recorded
    The ten following middle Stalls belonging to the Vicar, Choral and Lay Officers of the Church, are then inscribed - 10 names recorded
    Above these follow the other prebendal Stalls on this side - 8 names recorded, the first of which reads

"Pipa Parva, Simon Degge Armig F.F"

It's the "Armig" that leads me to think this might be your "rellie".

Prebend de Pipa Parva
    The prebend of Pipa Parva was situated in Pipehill, near Lichfield

I have checked if there's a Google books (searchable version) of White Kennett's book on line but have drawn a blank. No guarantee it's "your" Simon but might be worth checking out with the Church authorities at lichfield.
    There's a lot to be found re. Simon but I can find nothing about Isaac!
    Good information. Thank you.

Checking further, the White Kennet reference is dated Dec 1662 but have discovered "your" Simon was knighted 1669 - hence a question mark over the "Armig"?

Also re. my "nothing about Isaac" this refers to him as a "Sir Isaac". There's info around about Isaac but nothing under "Sir Isaac" - on line trees apart.
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

I’ve seen Sir Isaac and just Isaac. He was born in Staffordshire but later moved to Nantwich and married Rose Marshall, who was daughter of a Captain John Marshall.