Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Newbie here, needing help, R.A.S.C Driver

Hello,

I'm hoping somebody could help or point me in the right direction.

Iv started my ancestry journey and i'm struggling putting together my paternal grandfathers story. I never met him, he sadly died when my dad was 9yrs unfortunately.

I have been handed some things of his to help me. I have his army number (but iv found nothing), service book, release book, some typed up paper work and couple of photos.

We know he was a driver, he wasn't married to my dads mother. It says Malaya on the back of one photo.
    Could anyone tell me what he has on his wrist in the photo? I had a google and Warrant officer leather strap came up.

thanks in advance

Lauren

Hi Lauren and welcome to the Brit-Gen forums
    If you came to us from Forces War Records this 'sticky' will explain our connection.

You will not find a service record online because WW11 service records are still held by the MoD so you have to apply for them. You will need your grandfather's date of birth, a copy of his death certificate and a fee of 30 pounds.
    This 'sticky' explains further and gives the link to the UK government site where you can download the application forms.

If you want to upload a phot to Brit-Gen you have to use a URL address and the instructions below tell how.
    The first step is to make sure that you are in Go Advanced mode on the Brit-Gen thread where you want to place the photo. Click on the picture frame in the row of images above the reply box. (6 from the RH side). The box that appears requires a URL address.
    You have to upload your photo to a free site which will provide a URL address. I use Postimage which is very simple.
    On the home page of Postimage click on 'Choose images' then find and click on the file you want to upload where you have the photo stored on your computer eg Pictures. Then click on the particular folder that holds your picture and Open it. Choose your photo, click on it and click on Open. You are now taken back to the Postimage page where you are given a choice of 9 links. Click on the URL 'Hotlink for forum' Now right click on the URL address and then click on Copy. Go back to the reply box on the Brit-Gen thread and in the URL box right click on your mouse and from the menu click on paste. The URL for your photo is now ready to be posted on the forum along with any information you have typed in to accompany it.
    There are other free sites from which to upload images with URL addresses if you want an alternative.

Christina

ps: If you need/want any help with other areas of your genealogy quest our members are both knowledgeable and friendly and love helping others in their research.
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thankyou for your help Chistina, Iv sent off for his death certificate and then will send off for his records.

Iv attached some photos (well hopefully)

Is there anything here that might help piece together his story? We don't know much, apart from he was a driver.

Could anyone tell me what he has on his wrist in the photo? I had a google and Warrant officer leather strap came up.

thanks in advance

Lauren

Newcomer to Brit-Gen