Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Famous for offering help & advice

no worries. My fault for not expressing myself succinctly.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi there JandL are you related to Tommy Ah Check? My wife is his 2x great grandchild via Tommy's son Francis/Frank Check. Wanted to let you know Tommy and family were living in Parkes NSW for a few years before and after the other older man Samuel Ah Chick was executed in 1904. Then Tommy and family moved to Sydney NSW (first to Redfern and then Alexandria)around 1909. Daughter Mary Josephine Check had tuberculosis for 4 years before sadly dying in 1911, and we think the family moved to Sydney for access to better treatment than perhaps was available in Parkes at the time. Bottom line, Thomas Ah Check was NOT the man hanged at Dubbo. Cheers, Matthew

Loves to help with queries

Now thats a heap interesting revelation! And thanks for contacting. I am no relative, just have a neighbour who told me he descended from the Ah Check who was hung. So I looked at various websites, and obviously wrongly assumed whoever wrote that there was a name change so Ah Check could be buried a Christian. Fatal mistake not to check that fact more thoroughly. I should be shot at dawn for that. Neighbour descends from a Thomas Ah Check via son George Leslie Check who died in 1961.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Descendant of George Leslie Check

Quote Originally Posted by JandL View Post
    Now thats a heap interesting revelation! And thanks for contacting. I am no relative, just have a neighbour who told me he descended from the Ah Check who was hung. So I looked at various websites, and obviously wrongly assumed whoever wrote that there was a name change so Ah Check could be buried a Christian. Fatal mistake not to check that fact more thoroughly. I should be shot at dawn for that. Neighbour descends from a Thomas Ah Check via son George Leslie Check who died in 1961.
    Hi there, yes for the past 30-odd years we've been told Ah Chick at Dubbo is Tommy Ah Check. There's quite a bit of work to do to undo the "damage" because the rumour has spread through the family like wildfire. Several years ago I had Dubbo Library review their records ... they had a "Tommy Ah Chick" file. Turns out there were zero mentions of Thomas/Tommy in there and they've renamed the file accordingly. I'm heading to Dubbo this week to look at the file, and also see if they've updated the Ah Chick display at the Old Gaol (to remove reference to Tommy, Annie and the children).

There's a bunch of descendants from all the siblings actively researching, but we lost track with any descendants of George.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by Mystical_Matt View Post
    Hi there, yes for the past 30-odd years we've been told Ah Chick at Dubbo is Tommy Ah Check. There's quite a bit of work to do to undo the "damage" because the rumour has spread through the family like wildfire. Several years ago I had Dubbo Library review their records ... they had a "Tommy Ah Chick" file. Turns out there were zero mentions of Thomas/Tommy in there and they've renamed the file accordingly. I'm heading to Dubbo this week to look at the file, and also see if they've updated the Ah Chick display at the Old Gaol (to remove reference to Tommy, Annie and the children).

There's a bunch of descendants from all the siblings actively researching, but we lost track with any descendants of George.
    Hi Matt,
    My great grandfather was George Leslie Check and my grandfather is Leslie Herbert Check.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by Beck1311 View Post
    Hi Matt,
    My great grandfather was George Leslie Check and my grandfather is Leslie Herbert Check.
    Hi Beck1311
    I've just seen your message from May, my apologies. You and my wife are third cousins, sharing Tommy Ah Check and Annie Wilson as your ancestors in common. My wife's great grandfather was Francis Joseph Check and her grandmother was Veronica Irene Check.

I was fortunate earlier this year to meet Patricia Collon, the daughter of your grandfather's older sister Joyce Rebecca Check. Patricia travelled to Sydney for a Check family gathering at the Lord Raglan Pub in Alexandria, right in the vicinity of where the Check family were living when they relocated from Parkes in about 1909.

Patricia mentioned she is the third child of Joyce Rebecca Check and Joyce's first husband Albert Henry Collon. Joyce and Albert divorced when Patricia was a baby. Joyce subsequently married Thomas Lynch Kennedy in 1949 and Robert James Thornton in 1960.

Patricia spoke mostly of her older brother Raymond, and that he’d died a few years ago but she wasn’t sure when or where. (FYI Raymond died in 2014 on the Gold Coast).

Patricia also spoke of Leslie and that he had lived down the South Coast and included a photo or two of him amongst the papers she shared with me.

Cheers
    Matt

Loves to help with queries

Hi,
    (BDM regn 5203/1904 - 66 years old - no parents recorded - Christian name shown as Ah and Surname as Chick).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12