Knowledgeable and helpful

Default James Watters. Married Cilycwm. 1840

Family Search has record of the marriage of James Walters (sic) to Ellen "Zeary", a minor, at Cilycwm on 1 February 1840. Free BMD records the brides surname as "Teang".
    I believe the original register entry may be viewed on Find my Past. If so, will someone please examine the original and give their interpretation of the bride's surname. I expect it to be either Tyack or Teague. The names of the witnesses could also help establish her identity.
    Thanks.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

I would agree that James' surname should be Watters.He has clearly crossed both T's when signing his name.

Witnesses are Robert Woolcock and Thomas Pollard.

Re Ellen's surname, all I can confirm is that it doesn't spell Tyack or Teague.
    Ellen's signature is written too small to guess at what she wrote.
    Looking at the way the vicar wrote the name of the groom's father (Benjamin) in the next entry in the register, you could say the vicar spelt Ellen's name Teanj. His Y's are usually written sightly differently.
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Brick wall demolition expert!

If you look at the place of residence for Ellen - I think that it says Tycoch. The construction and capitalisation of the first letter is the same as that for her surname.

So although it seems to make no sense I think that he was written her surname, and that of her father, William, as TEANG.

Knowledgeable and helpful

Thanks Pam and Megan.
    I wonder if Teang is a mis-hearing by a Welsh minister of the name Teague as spoken by a Cornish bride.
    Ellen is described as a minor, and her father as a miner in the records of Cilycym church. This is one of a number of circumstantial indicators that Ellen was the Eleanor Tyack, baptised at St Agnes, Cornwall on 7 April 1822 the daughter of William Tyack, alias Teague, miner, of Kenwyn. The family of Ellen's mother, Mary Cowling, originated in St Agnes.
    In 1839 Eliza(beth) Cowling, the daughter of Ellen's grandfather, Thomas Cowling, married in Cilycwm. Thomas Cowling had dahghters Josepha bc 1795 StAgnes, 1802, Mary Tavy, Devon, and 1807, Llanfairybryn, Carms. Mary and William Tyack had a daughter Josepha (recorded as Joseph, baptised St Agnes 7 April 1822)