Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Knowledgeable and helpful

Default William Teague alias William Tyack. In court.

I regret I am not sufficiently computor literate to provide the link but an entry on The National Archives site contains the following information:-
    Lostwithiel Sessions. 15 July 1823.
    "William Teague, alias William Tyack, of Kenwyn, miner,remanded for three months for having defrauded Matthew Moyle, one of his creditors"
    Is there any record of what happened when his case was eventually heard and does the report contain any additional personal details that might help establish his identity - age, address, family?

Have you tried the newspapers?

Quote Originally Posted by Lesley Robertson View Post
    Have you tried the newspapers?
    Yes, but I could find nothing that appeared to relate. Perhaps I missed it.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

This is the link. William is the last entry in the list.
    https://discovery.nationalarchives.g...0-f03ec603f573

The original record is held at KresenKernow.
    https://kresenkernow.org/

I would doubt that there is anything further in the record, but you could ask. Quote reference QS/1/10/461, Lostiwthiel QS held 15 July 1823.
    You may have to pay a charge.
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Famous for offering help & advice

there are references in a couple of newspapers of March 1823 where he is simply called "Tyacke, a miner"

Royal Cornwall Gazette
    Statesman (London)

"Mr Moyle of Chacewater"

Brick wall demolition expert!

FMP's Crime and Punishment records don't show any records for this event. If it relates to the Quarter Sessions you should see a note of it in HO27 - Criminal Register. There are however a handful of other mentions of William Teague and William Tyack; some of whom can't be your chap, but there might be a connection.

Criminal trials tended to be reported only if they were sensational or salacious, or it is a slow news week. Very often even murders only get name crime and sentence reported.

If there is going to be a report it is most likely to be in a local paper. Try searching on "quarter sessions" or similar.

Quarter Session records are usual held by the county archives: https://kresenkernow.org/SOAP/search...er%20sessions/
    The list of hits will require sifting.
    The other record that might give answers would be "calendar of prisoners", or whatever it is called locally. This can be anything from a list of names and charges to a very detailed schedule telling you everything from when they were committed to details of their crime to a physical description to details of the next of kin. By law goals were supposed to keep returns of prisoners but not all did and not all have survived.

Quote Originally Posted by wimsey View Post
    there are references in a couple of newspapers of March 1823 where he is simply called "Tyacke, a miner"

Royal Cornwall Gazette
    Statesman (London)

"Mr Moyle of Chacewater"
    sorry, this must be a different case
    but a coincidence the names happen to be similar ?

Quote Originally Posted by wimsey View Post
    sorry, this must be a different case
    but a coincidence the names happen to be similar ?
    I think its the same case, and started in 1822 (see Royal Cornwall Gazette 7 Dec 1822). Matthew Moyle of Chasewater brought a petition in the Vice-Warden's Court against Teague to recover £18 paid for Iron Ore which Teague had convinced him was of a greater value than it turned out to be. The Vice-Warden thought it was a moral rather than criminal matter, and as it involved the character of the defendant he thought it was better to be heard by a Jury, although he was willing to hear the case immediately if the parties preferred. Moyle wanted this, but Teague wanted a jury trial. The case was referred to the Steward of the Stannaries to empannel a Jury of Tinners to try the matter. A Trial in the Stewards Court had become rare, so there was quite a bit of interest in the case.

The March 1823 reports are of the trial in the Stewards Court, and in brief it was found that Tyacke(Teague) had taken a pitch at Chasewater mine and was to receive 7/12ths of the Ore he raised for his labour. When it was brought up Moyle agreed to purchase Tyacke's share and a sample was taken to ascertain its value. However, the jury found that Tyacke had mixed some better quality ore in with it, which then falsely increased the value. Moyle paid £19 0s 6d, but the real value was 11s 6d. The jury awarded damages, thus finding that fraud had been used.

Presumably the fraud element then resulted in further proceedings and the three months remand referred to.

My thanks to all who took the time to respond with their thoughts and suggestions, particularly jumot1 with his/her detailed account of the events preceeding William Tyack/Teague's appearance in court.
    Although in no way conclusive, the reference to Chacewater gives me cause to think that this may relate to the same individual in whom I have an interest.

Before closing this thread down, I would like to present an associated hypothesis for scrutiny and comment.
    Mary Cowling married William Tyack (alias Teague) in 1819 at Kea (both of Kenwyn). Mary was baptised in Mary Tavy Devon in 1800, the daughter of Thomas Cowling. Between 1805-7 Thomas migrated from Devon to Carmarthenshire, and I suspect it was at about this time that Mary went to live with her uncle, James Cowling and his wife, Eleanor, in Kenwyn. In 1841, when she was living in Chacewater, and 1851 her place of birth is recorded as Cornwall which suggests she may not have known of any other place from her childhood. In 1822 she named a daughter Eleanor Cowling Tyack, presumably in honour of her aunt.
    In his will James Cowling named his niece, Mary Teague, as his sole beneficiary, with the condition that her inheritance was " for her own sole use and benefit forever without being subject to the payment or subject to the debts of her present or any future husband"
    Is it fanciful to deduce from this that Mary was considerably younger than her husband and likely to find herself a young widow, liable to enter into a second marriage, and that her husdand was a poor financial manager (and proven fraudster?).
    It would appear that William died at some time between 1833, when their son Elijah was born, and 1841 when Mary was described as "independent".
    The Cornwall OPC site has the record of the burial of William Teague, of Kenwyn, age 68, in Truro in 1837. He would have been 31 years older than Mary and on the face of it, it seems unlikely that he was her husband, but is it just possible he was?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast