Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Yes.
    I have a similar case in my (scottish) one place study. A fairly wealthy grandmother left most of her estate to her 2 motherless granddaughters on the condition that their father had no access to any part of the estate. Their mother died when the girls were young (the girls were with Gran whenever I found them). Gran should have chosen younger executors.

Second marriages were not rare, especially when young children were involved. I know of several widowers who married younger cousins, and one or two fairly young widows who married older men. They had to be pragmatic (no social security), and as long as both people were decent it could be seen as a win-win situation.

That's one of the fun things about 1 place studies, you get to see a broad picture of life!

Brick wall demolition expert!

I have seen a number of Wills where the testator has sought to exclude a legatees husband from benefiting, and I don't believe that it was to do with age difference, but rather a belief that the husband was a spendthrift. One example was in 1773:

“WHEREAS I have in and by my last Will given unto Mrs Mary Gambold my late wife’s Niece the sum of three hundred pounds And Whereas at the request of her Husband Capn. Gambold I advanced several sums of Money to one (??) his relations and ffriends which he Promised from time to time to repay me with the Interest thereof but has not thought proper so to do. Wherefore I do hereby resolve and make void the said Legacy or sum of three hundred pounds so given and bequeathed to the said Mary Gambold and do hereby give and bequeath to her the said Mary Gambold only the sum of two hundred pounds of good and lawful Money of Great Britain to be paid at the time her Original Legacy was to be paid But it is my Desire and I do hereby Will that the said Mr Gambold and his ffriend shall be released and discharged of the said Debt or several sums of Money.”

So although that one does not specifically exclude the husband from benefitting, it certainly is fairly pointed in its view of him. Of course it has to be remembered that married women had no property of their own. This did not change until the Married Women’s Property Acts of 1870, 1882 and 1893, so no doubt the concerned family would do what they could to put barriers in the way of spendthrift husbands.

Knowledgeable and helpful

Thanks, Lesley and Megan, for your thought provoking responses.

It’s wonderful that someone can ooze contempt Ina piece of legal text!
    I must dig out the Sharp bequest.

Famous for offering help & advice

The Cornwall OPC site has the record of the burial of William Teague, of Kenwyn, age 68, in Truro in 1837
    Hmmm, Im not sure.

The Royal Cornwall Gazette 2 March 1833 has an advertisement for a property for sale on Lemon Street, Truro "now and for some time past in the occupation of Mrs Elizabeth Teague and her tenant Wm Teague" The piece goes on to mention all that very desirable garden situate in Tredennick Lane in the parish of Kenwyn (immediately adjoining Kenwyn Street, Truro) and now in the occupation of the said Mr Wm Teague....

It would appear that this Wm Teague was a Gardener. I can see a further mention of him in June 1837 when there was an advertisement for the sale by auction of around 5000 plants and the greenhouse at "the nursery of Mr W Teague, Head of Lemon Street, Truro" but nothing after that.

Could the burial possibly be him?

Quite possibly. I am not at all convinced that tha 1837 burial is my man. The age differential is just too great between him and Mary(31years) and I would have expected internment to be at Kenwyn or Chacewater.

Quote Originally Posted by brentor boy View Post
    The age differential is just too great between him and Mary(31years)
    Age gaps like this can happen - there were 31 years between my paternal grandparents

Quote Originally Posted by Jomot1 View Post
    Hmmm, Im not sure.

The Royal Cornwall Gazette 2 March 1833 has an advertisement for a property for sale on Lemon Street, Truro "now and for some time past in the occupation of Mrs Elizabeth Teague and her tenant Wm Teague" The piece goes on to mention all that very desirable garden situate in Tredennick Lane in the parish of Kenwyn (immediately adjoining Kenwyn Street, Truro) and now in the occupation of the said Mr Wm Teague....

It would appear that this Wm Teague was a Gardener. I can see a further mention of him in June 1837 when there was an advertisement for the sale by auction of around 5000 plants and the greenhouse at "the nursery of Mr W Teague, Head of Lemon Street, Truro" but nothing after that.

Could the burial possibly be him?
    So many Teagues and Tyacks but if it helps I
    don't think the burial is the gardener. Gardener William age 26 is I think mentioned in a lease of 1828 in Cornwall Archives with (poss) father Thomas Teague gardener age 52 and poss nephew James Gibson age 2. William I think married a Jane and moved with his family to Clifton Glos. He can be found there in 1841 and 1851, a gardener. Of course there could be another W Teague gardener in Truro, maybe an uncle.

Thanks to all who have taken the time and trouble to respond but unfortunately I do not feel I am any closer to the answer. It is not helped by the fact that my Teagues have connections with both Lemon Street and Kenwyn Street, either directly or indirectly. It is now obvious that my next step is to obtain the death certificate but as William is only a small twig at end of a long branch and I already have a long "shopping list", it may be some time before I get around to it.

Quote Originally Posted by grisel View Post
    So many Teagues and Tyacks but if it helps I
    don't think the burial is the gardener. Gardener William age 26 is I think mentioned in a lease of 1828 in Cornwall Archives with (poss) father Thomas Teague gardener age 52 and poss nephew James Gibson age 2. William I think married a Jane and moved with his family to Clifton Glos. He can be found there in 1841 and 1851, a gardener. Of course there could be another W Teague gardener in Truro, maybe an uncle.
    Further to this the National Archives have additional details - terms on lives of lessee Thomas Teague, William Teague 26, labourer son of William Teague of Probus, and James 2, don of James Gibson of Kenwyn cordwainer. The land is 3/4 of a plot in Kenwyn bounded on East by turnpike Road from Truro to Falmouth.
    I think this is probably still "gardener William" coming into the business with Thomas.
    It may take you no nearer to your William but perhaps may help with sorting out all your complications with this family. Good luck!

Also Cornwall record office have the will of Thomas Teague gardener of Kenwyn, 1831.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12