Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Famous for offering help & advice

What you've found is his medal card. It tells you when he enlisted (21 May 1908) and when he was discharged (14 Jun 1918). Reason for discharge was Paragraph 392 (xvi) Kings Regulations - no longer physically fit for service.

I don't know what you're referring to by 'a decoration roll for 6/19' but it probably means disembodied, although I'd need to look at it in context to be sure.

ADDED - Found it, its his medal card & roll for the 1914/15 star under service number 196. Yes, it means disembodied.

Quote Originally Posted by Jomot1 View Post
    What you've found is his medal card. It tells you when he enlisted (21 May 1908) and when he was discharged (14 Jun 1918).
    This should of course say 14 Jun 1919 - apologies

And looking at the discharge reason again its para (xvia) - surplus to military requirements (having suffered impairment since entry into the service).

Thanks Jomot, I appreciate your help. And like you say, it's possible because of the injury, he came home before June 1918
    Mick

I'm not certain that he was injured as such as the unit was disbanded around that time (May/Jun 1919)and he had served his agreed time. The fact that he received a silver war badge does mean that he was no longer fit for service, but I don't see him on any casualty list so unfortunately we don't know for certain whether he came home early or not.

His pension records appear to say that on 28 Feb 1920 he was awarded a pension of 8s 8d from 25 Nov 1919 to 8 Feb 1921.

Then on another card:
    9 Feb 1921: No grounds for further award
    30 Mar 1921: No grounds on appeal
    28 Sep 1921: No grounds on appeal

Quote Originally Posted by Jomot1 View Post
    I'm not certain that he was injured as such as the unit was disbanded around that time (May/Jun 1919)and he had served his agreed time. The fact that he received a silver war badge does mean that he was no longer fit for service, but I don't see him on any casualty list so unfortunately we don't know for certain whether he came home early or not.

His pension records appear to say that on 28 Feb 1920 he was awarded a pension of 8s 8d from 25 Nov 1919 to 8 Feb 1921.

Then on another card:
    9 Feb 1921: No grounds for further award
    30 Mar 1921: No grounds on appeal
    28 Sep 1921: No grounds on appeal
    Thanks for all that Jomot, I think I'll stop guessing now and await my wife's DNA results, at least that might prove she is related to Fred or one of the other brothers although with Fred putting Joan down as Daughter on the 21 census his possibility rating has just gone up another notch

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123