Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post
    There are some trees on ancestry for Norman Hartley Price with some having him with the same death registration I found and a couple of others saying he was killed in action in 1917. I looked on the CWG site and there are two Norman Hartley deaths but one was in the Royal Navy and the other in the Merchant Navy in WW11!
    Christina
    Fred lived till 1956 and I don't think he was Navy. I expect one of those trees was mine (Bull) Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by helachau View Post
    First, a very warm welcome to Britgen.

The Bradford Weekly Telegraph, 19 Jan 1917, carries a headline "Bradford Family's Unique Patriotic Record" and includes a photo of a Frederick Ernest Fox. However, the item goes on to describe him as a Sergeant in the R.A.M.C, previously serving in the Volunteer Forces. His age is given as 35 and parents are Mr & Mrs J Fox, 2 Nearcliffe Road, Manningham. Can be readily ruled out?
    Thanks for the welcome, can you tell me what page that would be, thanks

Famous for offering help & advice

Frederick Ernest Fox was in the Territorial Force and previously served under service number 196. Men in the RAMC Territorial Force were renumbered in 1917, and 403114 fell under the 2nd West Riding Field Ambulance, which was part of the 49th Division. What isn’t clear however, is whether he was part of the 1/2, 2/2 etc, although both of those were in France in 1917/18.

Frederick first disembarked in France on 14 Apr 1915. What makes you think he was in North Yorkshire in 1917?

NB The 1/2 West Riding Field Ambulance landed on 14 April 1915, so it seems likely this is who he served with.

Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post
    There is a Medal Roll index card
    Norman Hartley - Corporal and promoted to SGT.
    Regiment or Corps: 5 Dsc Asc (Army service corps, DSC - Distinguist Service cross?)
    Regimental Number M/29549
    5 DSC = 5th Divisional Supply Column, which from what I can make out comprised of the 48 and 733 Companies of the Army Service Corps,

They were also in France 1917/18

Quote Originally Posted by Jomot1 View Post
    5 DSC = 5th Divisional Supply Column, which from what I can make out comprised of the 48 and 733 Companies of the Army Service Corps,

They were also in France 1917/18
    Thanks Jomo1 for explaining this.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Syn View Post
    Thanks for the welcome, can you tell me what page that would be, thanks
    It's on page 9.
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Quote Originally Posted by Jomot1 View Post
    Frederick Ernest Fox was in the Territorial Force and previously served under service number 196. Men in the RAMC Territorial Force were renumbered in 1917, and 403114 fell under the 2nd West Riding Field Ambulance, which was part of the 49th Division. What isn’t clear however, is whether he was part of the 1/2, 2/2 etc, although both of those were in France in 1917/18.

Frederick first disembarked in France on 14 Apr 1915. What makes you think he was in North Yorkshire in 1917?

NB The 1/2 West Riding Field Ambulance landed on 14 April 1915, so it seems likely this is who he served with.
    Thanks for all your help, I'm trying to locate my wife's grandfather and Frederick is a possibility but if he was in France until at least July 1918 he can be ruled out. We have a DNA test in process so that hopefully will give more clues.

Ah, but remember that men were still allowed leave or may have been wounded, so although the Battalion may have been in France the entire time, he may not have been!

Found a discharge mention on Ancestry "UK, British Army World War I Medal Rolls Index Cards, 1914-1920" for Frederick Ernest Fox and it states what looks like "Enlistment Discharge", I've googled the discharge reasons but can't associate Enlistment to them, can somebody enlighten me, thanks
    Here's the link if you have Ancestry https://www.ancestry.co.uk/discovery...839e380ab0fd82

Also, what does the abbreviation Dismbd mean. That is also on a decoration roll for 6/19

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast