Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: missing at sea

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default missing at sea

I have recently discovered a record which matches my grandfather's name and occupation in a roll of honour compiled in 1920 which states that he was missing at sea, presumed dead. What steps could I take to verify the identity is correct, and as he obviously survived where might I find that record? I have tried the Forces War Record website but there were no matches.

I would start with the Commonwealth War Grave Commission (CWGC.org). They include those lost at sea,
    Was he Royal Navy, Merchant Navy or something else?

Would you like to share some information about your grandfather? His full name, date and place of birth, where you found the record you are referring to, and if in the forces, which one? Any information which may help us to help you.
    Alma

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by almach View Post
    Would you like to share some information about your grandfather? His full name, date and place of birth, where you found the record you are referring to, and if in the forces, which one? Any information which may help us to help you.
    James Anderson Housden
    Born 23/11/1881 in Hoylake, Cheshire

His name and occupation appears on page 769 of the "UK, WW1 and WW2 shipping and seamen roll of honour 1914-1945" , a supplement to the London Gazette in 1920.
    I have no information on what he did in WW1, he would have been in his '30s, and I wonder if his occupation was a reserved one. It seems very odd to me but maybe you could shed some light on it.

The only entry I have found thus far for a "James Anderson Housden", the distributing manager for Bristol and South Wales area, Royal Commission on Wheat Supplies. Got an OBE. This is from the Western Mail, 31 Mar 1920.

You mention an occupation above, but you haven't said what it was.

The 1911 census Gives James Anderson Housden (corrected from Ayderson), born Hoylake abt 1882, Civil parish Bristol, in the Grain Trade. Single in 1911, a boarder.

Married to Constance Coe 1913 in Lancs.

He's listed for Probate in 1941 (d. 1940) in Llandudno.

The 1939, if it's the same guy (he's with Amy Coe by then), gives occupation as "Intelligence War Offi" (rest in fold of page)

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

I though being the distribution manager would have been his occupation. All I knew before was that he was in the grain trade.

It could have been a wartime post - fair distribution, etc. That would explain the OBE.

There's a death registration for same name, b abt 1882, d. Oct 1940 Reg district Surrey North Eastern, "inferred county "Surrey".

I think you'd better take a look at the entries yourself.... I don't know what you already have.

Famous for offering help & advice

the probate entry for the James Anderson Housden who died 5 November 1940 says he died at Surbiton Hospital, Surrey

sorry, I didn't read your post properly, you obviously knew that he didn't in fact die at sea

If you are using ancestry.com I think they have taken the entries from The Gazette and included them in the
    UK, WW1 and WW2 shipping and seamen roll of honour 1914-1945 by mistake. I know that there are/were other records that were entered under a heading that was inappropriate but can't bring it to mind at the moment.
    Looking in the Gazette itself for WW1 Awards and Accreditation notices nothing comes up for your man.
    Reading all the entries on the page there are also many women included who are providing different services to the Government such as the Red Cross. Printing, Inspector of Taxes, Organiser of War Charities, Minister to the Welsh Troops. These are all supporting rolls.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

That would explain why, when checking anc.co.uk, I found nothing in their seamen records. He could have been on a ship that went down and was recovered… Hence the vagueness I quoted in #7. Apart from anything else, there’s that “military intelligence” entry in the 1939 (#5).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast