Thread: 1811

Question 1811

My Ancestor was registered as a soldier on Baptism records. How can I fin out which regiment?

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Oldchap1 View Post
    My Ancestor was registered as a soldier on Baptism records. How can I fin out which regiment?
    Would you like to give us a name, date of baptism and location. Maybe someone can help.

Quote Originally Posted by suemalings View Post
    Would you like to give us a name, date of baptism and location. Maybe someone can help.
    George Yaxley son of George Yaxley and Mary 25 Sep 1811 Beverley St Mary Yorkshire

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Oldchap1 View Post
    George Yaxley son of George Yaxley and Mary 25 Sep 1811 Beverley St Mary Yorkshire
    You say your Ancestor was registered as a soldier on baptism records. Are you trying to trace George the father, or George the son? Presume it is George the father.

If it is the son then I have found this:

George Yaxley born about 1811, Beverley, Yorks.. Son of Robert Yaxley and Mary A Fox
    Brother of Mary, Sarah, Louise, Robert, Matilda, Thomas, William, Susannah and Eliza.
    Husband of Elizabeth Wood, married about 1840
    Father of Mary Ann, William John, Robert Ambrose and one other.
    Died Paddington 17 December 1888.

His father, Robert was born in Binham, Norfolk in 1773 Father unknown, mother Elizabeth Eleanor Pointer.
    Last edited by suemalings; 27-01-2022 at 5:54 PM. Reason: More Info.

many thanks for your help i will continue and see where it goes

Sorry but I can only see George son of George, where did you find son of Robert?

Famous for offering help & advice

I think the baptism record is incorrect and has named both the father and the son as George, whereas the father should be Robert, as indicated by suemalings. I've seen it happen many times.

There is a military record for Robert Yaxley born Benham (sic) Nr Walsingham, Norfolk, who enlisted into the 2nd Dragoon Guards on 28 Jan 1800, aged 25.

Newspapers have the 2nd Dragoon Guards moving from Canterbury to the 'Northern District' in 1811, including:

The Star (London) 11 May 1811
    The 2d or Queen's Dragoon Guards, which have been stationed for nearly two years in Canterbury, are ordered to the Northern District, and commence their march on Monday next. Newcastle, York and Beverley are their supposed destinations.

Kentish Gazette 14 May 1811
    The march of the 2nd or Queen's Dragoon Guards from Canterbury to the Northern District, which was to have commenced yesterday, is for the present suspended on account of their line of march being occupied by other troops.

Kentish Gazette 2 July 1811
    The 2nd Queen's Dragoon Guards after giving up their horses and leaving only 25(?) in each troop, marched yesterday from Croydon and its vicinity to their former destination in the Northern district, viz. Newcastle, Beverley and Sheffield.

1807 Louisa d/o Robert & Mary baptised 1807 Winchester

26 Nov 1809 Louisa d/o the Robert Yaxley a Sergeant in the 2nd Regt of Dragoon Guards & Mary his wife privately baptised at Winchester 18 February 1807 received into this church

26 Nov 1809 Robert s/o the above Robert Yaxley & Mary his wife publicly baptised.

1813 Matilda d/o d/o Robert & Mary baptised Newcastle

I haven't looked for any others, just those that place Robert in the areas mentioned in the newspaper reports.

Super Moderator

I found the "tree" with Robert as the father on Wikitrees. I could not find any Yaxley's in Yorkshire, they all seem to be in London or Norfolk.

Thank you you have been a great help