Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default William Parker...."missing years"

Hello everybody,

I have joined the forum today after hundreds of hours spent trying to trace my wife's maternal grandfather during the period 1890-1918. William Parker was born on 25th Feb 1884 in Loughborough. His father was William Parker and his mother was Sarah Jane Hickling. His father died in 1890 and I believe that he was put in a childrens home in Derbyshire but I have been unable to verify this. The story, which was related by his step-daughter who is now deceased, continues with him being sent to Australia under a scheme which was in place in the 1890's. He alledgedly served in the Australian Army before returning to the UK. My research about the "missing years" has provided a few possible leads but nothing definitive. William married Annie Emily Anderton in Little Wilne Derbyshire on 14th Dec 1918. His daughter Violet Lily was born on 27th Jun 1929. I have details about the rest of his life until his death on 10th Oct 1964. Any help with filling in the "missing years" would be greatly appreciated!

Welcome to BG. I'm just up the road in Rhoose. I have moved your post from Navigating BG, where it might not be seen, to General Queries. Hopefully someone will be able to help soon.
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

Brick wall demolition expert!

Australian WW1 military records are available on line:
    https://www.naa.gov.au/explore-colle...-war-i-1914-18

The National Archives has a guide to children's home records:
    https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/...children-care/

Finally Peter Higginbotham has a very useful site:
    https://
    www.childrenshomes.org.uk/

I have broken the URL on the last one because it is funded by advertising.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thank you

Famous for offering help & advice

Are you certain you have the right birth?

From Loughborough All Saints parish records:
    Baptism: 2 Mar 1884 William Parker s/o William & Sarah Jane Parker, Boatman, 11 John Street
    Burial: 19 Apr 1884 William Parker, John Street, infant

Baptism: 30 Mar 1885 William Arthur Parker s/o William & Sarah Jane Parker, 11 John Street, Boatman
    Burial: 4 Apr 1885 William Arthur Parker, John Street, infant

I have some records for Leicester that aren't available online, and there is an admission into the Cottage Homes that may be him:

10 Jun 1892 William Parker aged 8
    Guardian: Mother, in Workhouse
    Discharge: 26 Feb 1900 to Leicester Regiment at Wigston

There is an army attestation into the Leicester Regiment in 1900 of a William Parker aged 16, service No. 5703. Last address was the Cottage Homes. He was a tailor, and was discharged 1912. Family members named were brother Arthur, and sisters Eliza & Harriet - all in the Cottage Homes

The only service record I can find in Australia for anyone from Leicester/Leicestershire is William Parker No. 901 who confirms he was a tailor by trade, had previously served with the Leicester Regiment and was discharged 1912. Next of kin prior to marriage was his brother Arthur in Ratley (probably Ratby) Leicester.
    Last edited by Jomot1; 27-01-2022 at 3:28 PM. Reason: added info

Following on from the above,

Cottage Homes Admissions:
    5 Jun 1894 Arthur Parker aged 5. Deserted. Discharged 4 Feb 1905 to Mr. Rankin, Farmer, Cosby Spinneys

19 Feb 1892 Harriet Parker aged 8. Guardian: Parents. Discharged 25 Mar 1892 to Leicester Workhouse. Neglected by parents
    6 May 1892 Harriet Parker aged 9. Guardian: Mother. No further info.
    20 Sep 1898 Harriet Parker aged 15. Guardian: Mother, Leicester Workhouse. Discharged 29 Jul 1899 to Leicester Workhouse

19 Feb 1892 William Parker aged 5* Guardian: Parents. Discharged 25 Mar 1892 to Leicester Workhouse. Neglected by Parents.
    10 Jun 1892 William Parker aged 8. Guardian: Mother, Leicester Workhouse. Discharged 26 Feb 1900 Leicester Regiment at Wigston

*Likely a transcription error

There are numerous workhouse admissions & discharges for the family (including Eliza, who I don’t see ever entering the Cottage Homes), which seem to begin in 1887 when it looks like the whole family were admitted. The father (also named William) was noted to have been admitted because of illness. He is also stated to be 'removable', ie this is not his parish of settlement. The admission was 19 Nov 1887, and they were discharged 26 Nov 1887.

Their mother is named Fanny, and in 1892 it was noted that she had been deserted.

In 1891 the family was at Northgate Street, Leicester:
    William Parker 51 Builders Labourer born Cadington? Warwickshire
    Fanny Parker 42 or 48 b Sutton Coldfield, Warwickshire
    Harriett 8 daur b Sutton Coldfield
    Eliza 14 daur b Sutton Coldfield
    William 7 b Hilton, Derbyshire
    Arthur 1 b Belgrave, Leicester

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thank you for your help, some of the information is new to me. Is there an address for the Cottage Homes? I knew about his sisters but not his brother. There is a lot for me to work with so thanks very much for your assistance.

Sorry, yes, the Cottage Homes were at Countesthorpe.

I can't find Eliza on first sweep, but these might be the other children:

PARKER, HARRIET mmn COLLINS GRO Reference: 1883 S Quarter in ASTON Volume 06D Page 408
    PARKER, WILLIAM mmn COLLINS GRO Reference: 1885 S Quarter in BURTON UPON TRENT Volume 06B Page 335
    PARKER, ARTHUR mmn COLLINS GRO Reference: 1890 S Quarter in BARROW-UPON-SOAR Volume 07A Page 170

Sorry to keep adding info, but a lot of it is on CDs/Spreadsheets so I have to keep skipping between the various ones.

The admission/discharges are a bit confusing as in 1887 Fanny is said to be 40, but her 1892 admissions give her age as 30. One entry (1 Feb 1892) says 'children in the house' and the other (9 Apr 1892) says 'desertion'. The children were all admitted 23 Jan 1892 with the observation 'Desertion'

Fanny was 'discharged' Deceased 16 Sep 1892 and was buried on 20 September at Welford Road Cemetery, Leicester, aged 31. Plot A185 (Consecrated - Common Grave)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast