Thread: 1921 Census

Brick wall demolition expert!

Default 1921 Census

Since it was launched I have been looking for my grandmother Mary Smith and until today was unsuccessful. So I thought that people might be interested in how I found her.

I used the exact birth year (1899), and then added in her marital status, and unbelievably there was only one hit on the results page. The only location data I out on the search form was her birth county.

The one search result said that she was born in Llanberis, which does not match, as she was born in Penygroes. However, given that there was only one result I decided to have a gamble, and it paid off. The search results presumably come from the transcripts, but I have not purchased that. The actual schedule is correct and very clear, and indeed there is no mention of Llanberis on it for anyone!

Famous for offering help & advice

well found

I took a bit of a gamble with one of my great-uncles. Should be a six-letter surname beginning with the letter T, but transcribed as an eight-letter surname with T the only correctly transcribed letter.
    But no criticism intended, he had terrible handwriting.

I have numerous people I can't find, all with the same surname. I tried the same 'tricks' I used when the 1911 came out (where I submitted over 50 corrections) but to no avail.

Brilliant Meghan, just tried your 'trick' and found my dad's birth parents.
    Thanks again for sharing Meghan.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

I tried your trick with David Edgar Roderick born 1891, but sadly still no joy. He had left Llandovery, where he was born, but was not yet at the address in Cardiff from which he married in 1923. I've already paid to eliminate one red herring but there seem to be no other contenders, so he's probably mis-transcribed. I daresay I'll find him eventually, probably when I'm looking for something else
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

Knowledgeable and helpful

There’s a David Edgar RODAVID, born 1893, living in Cardiff with Amelia, Elizabeth and four others. Could that be him?

That surname occurs nowhere else that I can see.

Peter

Quote Originally Posted by elsinore View Post
    There’s a David Edgar RODAVID, born 1893, living in Cardiff with Amelia, Elizabeth and four others. Could that be him?
    Wow Peter! Thank you SO much. It is indeed him. The other first names meant nothing but I thought it worth a punt, and it's definitely him, despite the age being out. He was a boarder - Amelia, Elizabeth and co had totally different surnames. I paid for the actual image and the surname is clearly Roderick, albeit a bit squashed to get it into the line, and the birthplace and profession are right. He was my husband's grandfather and living just round the corner from his future wife. Thanks again, Peter, and thank you Megan for prompting me to put the query on this thread!!
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

Brick wall demolition expert!

I saw Peter's post and thought "wow".

I glad that I prompted a few to go and have another look.