Famous for offering help & advice

Default South Africa deaths

since the last time I tried, it now seems to be fairly straightforward to look up (for free) deaths in South Africa using a website called "GenDatabase" - I guess I shouldn't provide a link

in the free part of the database it gives date (but not place) of death + date of birth, and usefully, with married women gives their maiden name

Oh my goodness wimsey you have solved a long time puzzle for a 90 year old distant relative of mine in the US. His birth mother was the half sister of my great grandfather and was deported from the US in 1937 after serving a sentence for infanticide. The last records we had for her was as the informant on her father's death certificate in 1952 in Lancashire and then travelling to South Africa in 1953. Oh boy, oh boy her son is going to be over the moon as am I. Gotta go and email him now.
    Thank you over and over and over.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

glad it was useful

embarrassingly GenDatabase appears to have been around for years but I have only just found it

Oh it was more than useful. The elderly gentleman in the US was the older son of his mother charged and convicted of killing her young baby. The older son had been left with his father a couple of years earlier and then adopted by a lovely couple. It was as an adult he started investigating his origins and now your link has completed the circle. He is hoping a researcher in South Africa can help find where his mother is buried.
    I hadn't seen this data base before either.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

there's another website of death records which I think links up with GenDatabase and also FamilySearch

https://www.identitynumber.org/death-records.php

I've noticed that death dates seem to be presented sort-of backwards. So for example today's date would be presented 20220327

Many thanks, I now know when most of my Mum's siblings died