Default Looking for F. T. R. Hill

Hi, I'm looking for information on F. T. R. Hill, service number 1655.
    I'm trying to understand if this soldier actually fought in Italy in Cassino and if he actually was also a prisoner of war.
    Thanks and who can help me
    Maurizio

Famous for offering help & advice

There is a PoW entry for him but 1655 isn't a British WW2 service number, and he's transcribed as Union Defence Force, which is South African

Quote Originally Posted by Jomot1 View Post
    There is a PoW entry for him but 1655 isn't a British WW2 service number, and he's transcribed as Union Defence Force, which is South African
    Thanks so much!
    Can you tell me where to find any documents on this soldier?

Did he survive the war?

Famous for offering help & advice

I'm sorry, I don't know. I would think the South African Department of Defence.

Knowledgeable and helpful

Forces War Records has F T R Hill, as a private in the South African Army, service number 1655, who was indeed a prisoner of war at Camp 82 Laterina in Italy.
    No dates recorded and no mention of his fate.

There is at least one website dedicated to Camp 82 Laterina, with very comprehensive details, although I haven’t searched for F T R Hill.

https://powcamp82laterina.weebly.com

Peter

Thank you all,
    I'm doing this search for a friend who found a spoon engraved with what we think is a soldier's army serial number.
    The area of the discovery is near Monte Cassino and in that area there were mainly English soldiers, so we thought it could be an English soldier, and the only one we found with this asn and that certainly had been in Italy was precisely F.T.R. Hill, but of course we are not sure.
    This boy wanted to reconstruct the story of this spoon and its owner.

Knowledgeable and helpful

With thanks to wimsey for drawing our attention to the South African resource GenDatabase.com, there is this death entry which might be your man:

Frederick Thomas Roland Hill, born 30th August 1906, died 11th November 1986.

You need to register and subscribe for any other details such as place of death and cause of death.

Peter

If you don’t know whether he survived the war, check the Commonwealth War Graves Commission site. If he’s not in their database, he survived.