Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Loves to help with queries

Default looking again for Jewish ancestor

Since my experience with this forum is nothing but very good here is new try:

Am looking for a SALOMON ELIAS POLAK, born Amsterdam April 4, 1867.
    According to registry in Amsterdam City archives he went to London 26th
    February 1883, unsure is with whom and he was apparently back in 1893.
    Later he went ot the US and died in New York 1905.
    He was married to my niece Reine Beek, born Amsterdam April 4, 1876 and
    son of Elias Isaac POLAK and Naatje van WIJNBERGEN.
    Reine and Salomon had 5 children of which the last two(daughters) were born in the US.

So questions are ao which ship did he came on to which port in UK, where did he live,
    when did he return to Amsterdam or did he go straight to US?

As always you thoughts,ideas and data are very muich appreciated and welcome,

Best regards,
    Paul Beek
    Delft, Holland

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hi Paul,

As ever, questions for you.

Where did Reine and Salomon marry?
    As you know the last two daughters were born in the US, I assume you've found them in the 1900 census for the US. Whee does it say the other three children (if still living) were born?

Have you searched the Ellis Island website for the arrival of Salomon and Reine in the US? Searched emigration/immigration records on Ancestry and Findmypast? You can search any reputable site for free, only paying if you want to view the actual record.

Have you searched the 1891 UK census for Salomon?

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Another question.

Did ships sail direct from Holland to the US? You might need to check those records, too.

ADDED:
    When searching, remember to allow for variants of names, especially Salomon, which could easily be transcribing as Solomon.

Hi Pam, hope you are doing ok and in good health.
    Salomon and Reine married "with the glove "as they call it when one of the two is not present: March 6 1895 there was a marriage in Amsterdam with Isaac Polak being official representant of Salomon who was in NY.
    Curriously somebody in the US said there was a marriage also in USA...
    Ellis Island has been asked but they want you to donate before you get data...that is not going to happen.
    Have tried to find census data but on Ancestry you need full paid account(i have account bu not suffcient to get said data),Familysearch does not show him, freed BMD also no data.
    According to Amsterdam records he first went to London 1883 do not see he came back so he might have sailed from London to NY.
    The last two kids were daughters Rachel and Sarah born in US 1902 and 1904, the first 3 kids were born in Amsterdam Anna, Hester and Elias.
    Thanks for all help Pam, enjoy your evening
    Best regards, Paul

Ellis Island has been asked but they want you to donate before you get data...that is not going to happen.
    To the best of my knowledge, you can search the Ellis Island website for free. https://www.
    statueofliberty.org/ellis-island/
    You may be asked to register, but that's different.
    IN the top right-hand corner, above the prominent 'donate' box, there's a grey 'passenger search' box.

If you write to them and ask them to search records for you, of course they're going to ask for a donation. They (unlike BG members) don't work for free. You need to realise that sometimes you have to pay for the information you want. Companies invest a lot of money putting records onliine, and if it wasn't for the online records you would either not be able to access the information at all, or else spend literally thousands of pounds/euros, possibly travelling the world in search of it. Fortunately my relatives remained in England so the most I've had to pay for before records came online was a few nights' hotel accommodation and train fares.

If Anna, Esther, and Elias were born in Amsterdam then Salomon must have returned there sometime between the marriage and 1902 when Rachel was born in New York. With three children in seven years, I would have thought the implication was that Salomon was in Amsterdam for virtually all that time.

Pam

Paul
    As a start and to help other researchers the term married with a glove refers to a proxy marriage. Ancestry.Co records show Reina Polak age 18 sailed from Rotterdam on the Maesdam Arrival New York 25 March 1895 New York Passenger Arrival Records.
    Next, Salomon POLLACK age 27 sailed from Rotterdam to New York arrival 27 September 1894. He is recorded as a coachman but there is no original image to see whether or not the data is accurate.
    There are 2 Marriage index records for Salomon which you know about- the first 6 March 1895 Amsterdam with a glove and the second 31 March 1895 Manhattan groom age 27 and bride 18. The sailing records suggest that they are the correct couple.
    Salomon died 13 February 1903 Brooklyn New York age 37 b abt 1868 476 Roackaway Years in US 10 years. Cause of death Pneumonia-lobar complicated by cerebro spinal meningitis. Occupation diamond polisher. Burial 5 February 1905 Cypress Hebrew Cemetery.
    Phillip-Jewish,British Ancestry

"The only true dead are those who have been forgotten"

Default Thanks Philip

Quote Originally Posted by phillip View Post
    Paul
    As a start and to help other researchers the term married with a glove refers to a proxy marriage. Ancestry.Co records show Reina Polak age 18 sailed from Rotterdam on the Maesdam Arrival New York 25 March 1895 New York Passenger Arrival Records.
    Next, Salomon POLLACK age 27 sailed from Rotterdam to New York arrival 27 September 1894. He is recorded as a coachman but there is no original image to see whether or not the data is accurate.
    There are 2 Marriage index records for Salomon which you know about- the first 6 March 1895 Amsterdam with a glove and the second 31 March 1895 Manhattan groom age 27 and bride 18. The sailing records suggest that they are the correct couple.
    Salomon died 13 February 1903 Brooklyn New York age 37 b abt 1868 476 Roackaway Years in US 10 years. Cause of death Pneumonia-lobar complicated by cerebro spinal meningitis. Occupation diamond polisher. Burial 5 February 1905 Cypress Hebrew Cemetery.
    Hi Philip, hope your are doing well.
    Thanks for these data which I could not find so far.
    Just a question: the death data on Salomon do not seem to match, according to me he died in Brooklyn April 12, 1905, you mention Feb 13, 1903 that should then be 1905 since he was buried that year.
    The famly name Pollack did not com up because Isea rched under Polak, had to know they changed the name since they called Reine by Reina in the US.
    It seems strange that they would marry twice, maybe done because it was a marriage by proxy the first time when Isaac Polak represented him (found that thru all marriage docs I got)
    Have a nice day, Paul

Hi Pam, thanks again for your kind help.
    Here in Holland almost all data I find are free, only when an archive employee must search for some time you pay. Almost all data are digital so mostly easy to find.Can understand that they ask money for their support of the venue , that's not a problem. Will try again to find him and her, got data from Philip so maybe that is complete.
    Have a nice day, best regards, Paul

Hi Philip

Am checking these new york passenger arrical records but cannot seem to find salomon, the only one with same birthyear is a Russian guy
    Bet regards,Paul

Hi Paul
    The record for Salomon is Dutch Immigrants:New York Passenger List 1881-1894
    SALOMON POLLACK Holland Departure Rotterdam Arrival 27 September 1894 New York-Ship Werkendam Permanant Sojourn age 27 Coachman.

Type in his above name and arrival and use the USA option box for search if accessing Ancestry.

The Ellis Island records 1892-1924 are free on Familysearch.

On a separate note can I suggest that you use the actual name of the person(s) when you start a new thread. We discussed this point in a previous thread. It would help you and other researchers rather than a generic thread heading as you are currently using. Don't alter this thread heading but it is worth doing this for future threads.

The date of 1903 for the death of Salomon was an error- my apologies.

The requirement for a 2nd marriage is not a surprise particularly if emigrating and wanting all legal aspects organised for a new life in another country.
    Phillip-Jewish,British Ancestry

"The only true dead are those who have been forgotten"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast