Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home

Default Help please ...Hospital Ship DUNLUCE CASTLE

Hi all I have recently joined your forum and this is my first post. I'm looking for any advice as too Casualty lists for His Majesty's Hospital Ship Dunluce Castle for the 13th and 14th September 1915 from the 11th Casualty clearing Station at Cape Helles. I'm trying to trace my Grandfather's movements around this time.TIA

Welcome to the British Genealogy Forum. It’s good to see you getting involved straight away.

Have you looked at the Commonwealth War Graves site? You can search for an individual, or for key words such as the name of the ship. Another source might be the newspapers…

Starting to feel at home

Thanks Leslie, my trail is not going to be an easy one,my Grandfather was either wounded or suffered illness, as he survived the war. I know he had influenza in France and was gassed in 1918. Its his absences in Gallipoli thats got me digging so much. His records mention several visits to at least the Casualty clearing station. And being one visit was for over 10 it's got me thinking he must have been shipped somewhere, most probably Mudros.first time was 13th Sept 1915 until 24th Sept 1915. And secondly 8th October until 2nd December 1915.

Quote Originally Posted by Lesley Robertson View Post
    Another source might be the newspapers…
    A couple of names mentioned in British newspapers in Nov 1915 and also in Trove. Remarkably, there's a photograph in late Sep 1915 of nurses aboard the Dunluce Castle staring at a German aeroplane above.
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Starting to feel at home

Trove?

Quote Originally Posted by Snowyred1958 View Post
    Trove?
    Aussie Newspapers

Also
    https://wartimememoriesproject.com/g...w.php?pid=2801

Famous for offering help & advice

According to the diary for the 11th CCS, the hospital ship Dunluce Castle did sail for Mudros 14 Sep 1915, but I'm assuming its details of the casualties transported that you're after?

If he was disabled and unable to serve while the war was still going, he may have been given a silver war badge. Ancestry has a list of people who got one. Sometimes there’s information if the medal index cards.

Of course, it would be easier to help if you tell us his name, rank, serial number(s) and regiment(s) if you know any of them.

Starting to feel at home

Robert gardner Cz 1375 Nelson battalion rnd

Had you found?

Weekly Casualty List (War Office & Air Ministry), 1 Jan 1918
    ROYAL NAVAL DIVISION - Wounded
    Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve
    Gardner CZ/1375 L.-sea, R (Kirkintilloch)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast