Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Connecting Up

ewanphil

Default Connecting Up

In my family history program I have a tree, and I would like to add a smaller tree to it (connect about 12 individuals to the main tree). I am going to make a copy of the tree, for fear of it going 'pear shaped' if you know what I mean. I am not sure how to go about connecting these 12 or so individuals other than type them in manually, just wondering if there is a way avoiding this.

Many thanks

Welcome to the British-Genealogy forums
    What family tree program are you using? For instance I am using RootsMagic and can export my family tree as a gedcom file to my laptop desktop to be imported to other family tree sites such as ancestry or FMP or back into Rootsmagic or another private family tree program.
    So have you tried exporting your smaller tree as a gedcom file then importing it into your larger tree. Usually when importing a tree you are asked where you want it to go. That is as a new tree or part of another. So if you have a common ancestor in both trees with all the same information the smaller tree should merge in to the larger tree just fine. Good on you for backing up your main tree before you take any action.
    Others will be along to share their methods of doing this I am sure.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

ewanphil

Hi christanel, thank you for your help connecting 2 trees. I will try what you suggest, but in the meantime I am having trouble logging in to my original account, I have sent an email to British Genealogy Forums asking for help as I could not get into my original account, the last time being about 3 years ago, so I have had to create another account, which would not hold any of my old posts and messages. Hoping I can gain access somehow to my original account

What was your original username?
    Did you resign, or just take time out?
    How long ago was it?

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

In addition to Lesley's questions - did you make a post containing a more unusual first name or surname than John/Mary or Smith/Jones?

Did you make a post in a specific forum (possibly a county forum) rather than the more general 'Brickwalls'?

It's surprising what we can find provided we don't have to look through literally thousands of threads.

To the best of my knowledge we won't be able to search using your old username as you will be classed as 'guest' but your old posts will still have your old username shown.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

ewanphil

Hi Pam, and thank you for your help

One of my posts from 2010 was General Family History Queries, entitled Garrett 1891
    On my email notification the date was in 2019,but my actual post regarding Garrett 1891 was dated 2011

ewanphil

Quote Originally Posted by Lesley Robertson View Post
    What was your original username?
    Did you resign, or just take time out?
    How long ago was it?
    Hi, and thank you for replying.

My original username was Ewan
    I didn't resign, and my last post was 3 January 2019

ewanphil

Christanel - I have managed to combine my 2 trees that needed merging, without too much of a headache, so all is well with that so thank you once again for you help

Old thread for Garrett 1891 started in 2010.

https://www.british-genealogy.com/fo...t=Garrett+1891

There was a reply to this post 2 January 2019 but not by you.

Christina
    William Burroughs

Quote Originally Posted by ewanphil View Post
    Christanel - I have managed to combine my 2 trees that needed merging, without too much of a headache, so all is well with that so thank you once again for you help
    So glad it worked for you.

Christina
    William Burroughs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast