Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Famous for offering help & advice

Quote Originally Posted by AprilHTS View Post
    The clasps are Sebastopol,Inkerman,Balaklava and Alma. There is also a twin medal broach with a very dilapidated ribbon, yellow with green edging. No actual medal although the swivel mount remains. Probably either sold or lost.
    Apil
    oh I see (I think). So the clasps don't necessarily belong with your gg's medal ? (or might or might not ?)

Famous for offering help & advice

I must admit, I'm confused about the service number. Which is is? 3022 or 3757, or both (which doesn't make sense to me if he remained with the same regiment).

The battle of Alma was 20 Sep 1854, and you say 'your' John Scott was "listed as sick on the ship from Sept 1854" If this was on or after 20th then that would make sense for the John Scott No 3098 who only received the clasp for Alma

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

As they were all together, I can only assume they were his. They have been passed down from one family member to the next. The family were very poor so unlikely to have bought them. It's always possible that he could have acquired them from a fellow soldier I suppose.
    April

Quote Originally Posted by wimsey View Post
    oh I see (I think). So the clasps don't necessarily belong with your gg's medal ? (or might or might not ?)

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

I employed a researcher who got most of my information from the muster rolls in the National Archives. She quoted two service numbers for John Scott throughout, but I'm unsure why. She was able to disregard John Scott 3098 as he became a corporal and his place of birth was different.
    Thanks for your interest.
    April

Quote Originally Posted by Jomot1 View Post
    I must admit, I'm confused about the service number. Which is is? 3022 or 3757, or both (which doesn't make sense to me if he remained with the same regiment).

The battle of Alma was 20 Sep 1854, and you say 'your' John Scott was "listed as sick on the ship from Sept 1854" If this was on or after 20th then that would make sense for the John Scott No 3098 who only received the clasp for Alma

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12