Brick wall demolition expert!

Default Convict Ship Medical Journal

I've been transcribing a passage from the above in 1838 concerning the death of John Jones. Set out below is as far as I have got:

This poor fellow struggled hard for life and until the last few days, there were strong hopes that he would [recover] have retained his appetite undiminished till the day of his death, when he partook of as much pressed meat and [wine?] as a man fully convalescent would do. At this time, the pustules were either dried up or absorbed. To the latter his death is in my opinion to be ascribed for a fuller case I never saw of natural smallpox in many places [****], but [****] yellow [***].

He died very easy, and in his intellect perfectly clear. And thanking every one, who had been so kind to him. None more so than John Beard the Hosp.l ass.t, whose attention kindness and humanity throughout the voyage, to the sick I cannot speak of in adequate terms.

And [*****] [***] case, intelligence and [***] to the unfortunate scalded man, I do not know how I should have saved so many.

The small pox breaking out on board only two or three days after leaving Port, was a source of great anxiety to me. All those who did not know of having had it, were immediately vaccinated. Eight in number and two infants, belonging to the Guard. The [later or father] of whom had the disease in a distinct and beautiful form. Not one of the Prisoners too this tho’ some were [****] a second time vaccinated from the [***]s of the two infants.

Several very mild cases broke out both amongst the seamen as well as the Prisoners, but none stayed away from duty except Joseph Hostage who had it pretty [***] and is now suffering from scarring, being nearly a cripple, tho’ his legs are less swelled than many who not suffer so much pain. As far as this case goes there is not any proof that small pox is an immunity from scurvy.

The original is an Ancestry for anyone uses that:
    https://www.
    ancestry.co.uk/imageviewer/collections/2318/images/31792_636897_0598-00020?ssrc=&backlabel=Return

I have a copy on my drive:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1PyX...ew?usp=sharing

Hopefully that works

Any help much appreciated.
    Last edited by Pam Downes; 14-01-2022 at 12:30 AM. Reason: Direct link to commercial site broken in accordnce with our T&Cs.

Famous for offering help & advice

recover - I think should be survive
    preserved meat
    truly convalescent
    confluent but pure(?) yellow pus

and but for his care, intelligence, and humanity to the unfortunate scalded men

The latter of whom

Not one of the Prisoners took (?) [this](delete) tho’ some were twice [word then struck through] a second time vaccinated from the arms (?) of the two infants.

Joseph Hostage who had it pretty smartly and is now suffering from scurvy

less swelled than many who do not suffer so much pain

Brick wall demolition expert!

Many thanks for this, it is much appreciated.

It would seem that some doctors have always had rotten handwriting!