Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Annie Hoyle differing birth places

Hello,

I am researching Annie Lowe nee Hoyle, born in 1872/3.

I have three census records for her and her husband Charles Lowe (1901,1911,1921), along with the birth certificate of their son Charles Arthur Lowe.

I am stuck with finding her birth and parents’ details because the 1901 and 1921 census record her birthplace as Prittlewell, Essex. While the 1911 census records her birthplace as Tintwistle, Cheshire.

There are many Hoyle’s in the northwest but I am struggling to find any births in Essex with that name, and it’s not really clear where I should be looking until I clear up the census discrepancies.

Any help or ideas?

Many thanks.

Brick wall demolition expert!

I would get their marriage certificate because that will give you her father's name (assuming her parents were married), and that might help you find her in earlier censuses.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

I’m afraid that I can’t find a marriage certificate searching on free BMD or ancestry, though all the censuses do say they are married and the 1911 census records they’ve been married for 15 years.

Have you checked the census data against birth registrations for those locations?

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

I have got an Ann Hoyle born in the right month and year (May 1872) in The Rochford district, which seems to match with Prittlewell in Essex.

There is also an Annie Louisa Hoyle born in Saddleworth at the same time which is 11 miles north of Tintwistle, so I’m not sure if that could be the same registration district.

Both names don’t match the Annie used on the census, which I can see with Ann/Annie, though I doubt you’d leave off a middle name if you had one. Having said that, when I fill out a census I make sure everything exactly matches my official name!

The same goes for changing the birth location on the 1911 census compared to the 1901 and 1921, how would someone get that wrong?

It depends who supplied the data. It’s usually the Head of Household, but sometimes not, depending on who’s at home…

Quote Originally Posted by Ruairidh View Post
    I’m afraid that I can’t find a marriage certificate searching on free BMD or ancestry, though all the censuses do say they are married and the 1911 census records they’ve been married for 15 years.
    Annie Hoyle - Charles Lowe
    Volume 5C quarter 3 Page number 1078

Marriage year 1895

District Bath

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by Megan Roberts View Post
    Annie Hoyle - Charles Lowe
    Volume 5C quarter 3 Page number 1078

Marriage year 1895

District Bath
    Ah goodness, not sure how I couldn’t find that given I had the right names. I can order the certificate now to check, unless you know of a way to see it online?

Famous for offering help & advice

I think in 1881 Annie is with parents Richard and Mary in Skenfrith in Monmouthshire with siblings Alice and Edward. Richard is a Wesleyan minister. Annie is not with her parents in 1891.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruairidh View Post
    Ah goodness, not sure how I couldn’t find that given I had the right names. I can order the certificate now to check, unless you know of a way to see it online?
    You can't see the certificate on line on either Ancestry of Findmypast.

You can buy the certificate online from the GRO.
    https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/