Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Famous for offering help & advice

Unfortunately the OP isn't giving us much detail to go on - the information from the Police Gazette might well be useful, along with his fathers details from the marriage cert & his own occupation on the birth certificates etc.

I've looked at a few possibilities but we don't have enough information to rule them as in/out/maybe.

Police Gazette 27 Nov 1917
    ABSENTEES under the Military Service Act
    Office No - 1669; Name - S J Milligan; No. as shown on Classification Register - 1933; age - 40; Trade - mrne gresr; Last known address - 24, Mersey Road, Rock Ferry, Birkenhead; Date of Desertion - 21 Sep; Place of Desertion - Birkenheap (sic).
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

A peep at the '21 census delivers PoB for Sydney and Elsie. The "closest" birth registration for Sydney John, using the '21 PoB, is -
    John Milligan, Sep Qtr 1886, Toxteth Park, 8b 265 - mother's maiden name Duffy

The 16 yr old Elsie Milligan in Sussex on the 1911 Census fits the Elsie on the '21 Census. The initial post mentions guarding a bridge in Sussex.

Famous for offering help & advice

Quote Originally Posted by helachau View Post
    Police Gazette 27 Nov 1917
    ABSENTEES under the Military Service Act
    Office No - 1669; Name - S J Milligan; No. as shown on Classification Register - 1933; age - 40; Trade - mrne gresr; Last known address - 24, Mersey Road, Rock Ferry, Birkenhead; Date of Desertion - 21 Sep; Place of Desertion - Birkenheap (sic).
    Thanks - found it now

I think the number may be 1932 rather than 1933, but that age of 40 is something new - puts his YoB at nearer 1877.

I'd been looking at John MULLIGAN - brother of Thomas mentioned at post #5. Their father was Owen.

John also joined the 3rd Battalion Cheshire Regiment (Militia) in March 1897 claiming to be 17 years & 10 months old - service no. 4029 - but left in the October to join the Royal Navy - No 286258. In 1901 he is in Portsmouth.

His Navy record gives his DoB as 13 Dec 1877, then amended to 1878.

He married on 4 Jun 1906 in Leamington:
    John Mulligan (no age given) Bachelor, Seaman, HMS Furious, Portsmouth. Father: Owen Mulligan, Labourer
    Alice Fanny Cotterill (no age given) Spinster, 5 Moss Street, Leamington. Father: Thomas Cotterill, Labourer

John was discharged from the Navy with phthisis in 1907, and I lose him after that, although in 1911 Alice is back with her father claiming to be a widow and there is a death in 1908 in Warwick RD that could well be him.

Its interesting though that Sydney's address of Mersey Road, Rock Ferry is just around the corner from Thomas Mulligan whose address was Oaktree Place, Rock Ferry.

Apologies for transcribing 1933 incorrectly ( must try harder).
    What surprised me when I checked the 40 yr old birth was the lad from Newark, New Jersey, entering the frame.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12