Valued member of Brit-Gen barbara lee's Avatar

Default John Hayter died at Haslar Hospital 1809

An old gravestone in the churchyard of Laverstock, Wiltshire (just outside Salisbury) says it is for John Hayter who died 5th March 1809 aged 66 at Haslar Hospital. The matching burial entry says he was buried in Laverstock on 10th March, with no additional details.

I know Haslar was the Naval hospital near Portsmouth, treating sick and wounded seamen, but 66 is a bit old to be a serving sailor isn’t it? My suspicion is that he worked at the hospital as a clerk, but is there any way of finding this out other than commissioning a searcher at The National Archives? I have had a rummage on the TNA website and there doesn't appear to be anything relevant available for download.

(Just for info, Haslar John had been baptised in Laverstock on 8 Dec 1743. He married Mary White there on 14 Sep 1767 and they had a son, another John, baptised there in January 1768. It looks like his wife died in 1771. No more records of Haslar John Hayter in Laverstock until that burial and gravestone in 1809, 38 years later. His son John stayed in Laverstock, probably with his uncle and aunt, and was Laverstock’s parish clerk for 44 years.)
    Barbara

I had a look at the newspapers, but couldn't find a death announcement. I suppose that he could have been in the RN or a civilian working somewhere on the Hospital site...
    Did you see that there's a Haslar Heritage Group on FaceBook? They say that their interests run from 1753-2009 so if there's any more records anywhere, they should be likely to know about them...

Thanks Lesley. I have messaged them.

.... and they say they are interested, but don't have anything helpful They suggest the hospital muster rolls at TNA Kew.

Rats! At least you can be sure of where the Rolls are...

An update on this. I paid a searcher at Kew to look at the Haslar muster rolls and pay lists. The muster rolls are for patients - sick and wounded sailors, so didn't include employees. My man was in the pay lists as an employee, as I has expected, but not as a clerk, he was a labourer. Going by the notations by some of the names (bathing cellar, fumigation, night duty on gate)I guess he was something like a hospital porter. The odd thing is that he joined when he was nearly 61 years old, and died there aged 66. So I still have a great chunk of his life missing. He probably stayed in Laverstock as an ag lab, and since he was a widower who didn't apparently remarry, he would make no appearances in the parish register.
    So one problem put to bed, but more questions, as always!

If it was easy, it wouldn’t be fun!
    My Gfather was a ploughman at the Cupar Asylum - they actually had their own home farm and dairy,plus the full range of servants and farm servants. Gran was a housemaid at the Asylum until her marriage.
    If your guy was widowed, the hospital community might have been preferable to life alone?