Knowledgeable and helpful

Default What a find on a free to view site

I have been researching for 30 plus years and recently havent done much however I was idly searching through the Family Search site and came across an affidavit completed by my 4x gt grandmother in Devon allowing her daughter to marry my Royal Navy officer 3x gt grandfather she was 16 and he was over 21. I was and still am so excited about this find considering when their son who also became an officer in the Royal Navy wanted to marry someone age15 when he was 35 it was opposed on the grounds her family said she was too young and his family said her father was not of an equivalent rank ie he was a Ships Carpenter Warrent Officer. They persisted and were determind to get married and did get their way I wonder if they had to swear an affidavit for her this would have been 35 years later.

A wonderful eureka moment for you, Jane. You must have been very excited with your find.

Best of luck in finding an affidavit for your 3x gt grsndparents son.

Well done.
    Alma

I am happy for you Jane but green with envy. My biggest brickwall is only born 1920 but no sign of him on any records after that even though I have a photo of him with his mother and he once visited our house trying to connect with my Dad.
    My husband's grandfather's second wife was only 15 when she married his grandfather, he was 47, and he outlived her! Her father had to write a letter giving permission for her to marry. This was in Australia.
    Now you have inspired me to take another look for my missing uncle.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

I am but as you probably know from my whining for many years about my grandmother Annie Whitbreads birth certificate 50 plus years we wondered what was going on with her no living relatives. In the end some very kind soul on here took pity on me and made a suggestion as to what I might want to try and bingo I found it took some convincing my sister that it was her certificate I doubt if we will ever know her father but we know her mother!

I am a big believer in everything comes to he who waits new records are coming on all the time I had some research in Australia and never thought I would find what I was looking for. However the newspapers for Australia free to look on line were invaluable and I was able to re write the story in a biography (not in person) there were errors in the book and I knew some were wrong ie my ancestors first name and the outcome of a hanging was a myth too. Keep digging asking and believing one day you will find him. I do have a relative somewhere but cannot for reasons of adoption and hurting a living relative connect with him. A lost relative unless he or his family come looking for his biological family.

Thank you this is a lovely site just keep believing digging and asking dna may also be a door opener too. Although I havent done mine yet