Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default hi thanks for letting me join

Hi folks, thanks for letting me join I am doing my family history and have discovered my father, and that he was in the Army . I believe from the pic i have of him that he may have been in the Royal Artillery. He was stationed at Ty Crois on Anglesey around 1949- 50 + At moment i cannot find any info about his career other than in the first world war! His name was Major Arnold Braithwaite and came from Manchester ( though Yorkshire by birth!) is it possible to post photos on here ? as may help my search. LJ

Famous for offering help & advice

Hi,

There’s a tree on Ancestry which appears to have your Arnold Braithwaite in.

Born in Halifax and lived in Denton?

Are you certain that it’s his WW1 record? I can see his fathers WW1 record in which Arnold is listed along with his mother and another child.

I don’t think you’ll find Arnold’s WW2 record on line.

Pam.

Welcome to the British-Genealogy forums launa j
    As Pamela says it is more likely that your father served in WW11 and those records are still held by the MoD. This 'sticky' explains more and gives the link where you can download the application forms but at the moment it is a wait of at least 18 months before you will receive them.
    Pamela has found what could be your grandfather's WW1 service record and that is a very lucky find because more than 60% of WW1 service records were destroyed by bombing/fire/water in WW11. These records are available to view online at ancestry.com and Findmypast both are which are pay per view sites but both of them do have free library versions so your local library may have one of them.

To upload an image to the forums the first step is to make sure that you are in Go Advanced mode on the Brit-Gen thread where you want to place the photo. Click on the picture frame in the row of images above the reply box. (6 from the RH side). The box that appears requires a URL address.
    You have to upload your photo to a free site which will provide a URL address. I use Postimage which is very simple.
    On the home page of Postimage click on 'Choose images' then find and click on the file you want to upload where you have the photo stored on your computer eg Pictures. Then click on the particular folder that holds your picture and Open it. Choose your photo, click on it and click on Open. You are now taken back to the Postimage page where you are given a choice of 9 links. Click on the URL 'Hotlink for forum' Now right click on the URL address and then click on Copy. Go back to the reply box on the Brit-Gen thread and in the URL box right click on your mouse and from the menu click on paste. The URL for your photo is now ready to be posted on the forum along with any information you have typed in to accompany it.
    There are other free sites from which to upload images with URL addresses if you want an alternative.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs