Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Famous for offering help & advice

Quote Originally Posted by monkstown View Post
    I know he was cared for in 2nd Western General Hospital in Manchester from Sept 1915 (according to a personal note written by a nurse - would he have reached Manchester from Stationary Hospital, St Omer by the end of Sept?
    It wouldn't be impossible. The diary for the 10th Stationary Hospital at St Omer shows that although there were 750 patients by 9am on 27th Sep, they started moving them out the same day. At 3pm 285 'wounded sitting' cases were evacuated to Base (presumably the Base Hospital, from where they will have been transferred home).

At 9am the next morning 90 'lying cases (wounded)' were also transferred to Base, with a further 10 lying cases evacuated to Calais at 10am. At 1pm another 224 sitting cases were evacuated to Base.

The war diary for the 1st Cameron Highlanders places them at Hulloch, and the account of the Battle of Loos on the Long, Long Trail gives a very detailed account, including the following:

"Medical facilities on the First Army front at Loos included 16 Advanced Dressing Stations, 15 Main Dressing Stations and 13 Casualty Clearing Stations (the latter at Lapugnoy, Lozinghem, Chocques, Bethune, Lillers (3), Aire (2), Merville (3) and St. Venant). In all, these units could accommodate just over 11,500 casualties at any time. 17 ambulance trains were also provided, as were barges and road transport to evacuate wounded men towards the coast. In all, arrangements were made to cope with 40,000 casualties".
    Last edited by Jomot1; 30-12-2021 at 4:08 PM. Reason: typo

Manchester Evening News 30 September 1915:

WOUNDED SOLDIERS
    More Arrivals in Manchester

Over 600 wounded soldiers arrived at Manchester shortly after midnight, and they were followed by 160 more at half past seven. The men were immediately distributed among the various military hospitals in Manchester and Salford by motor ambulances which had been awaiting their arrival. There were more than the average number of stretcher cases among the first arrivals, but the second batch was made up of less severely injured soldiers.

The Manchester Courier 30 Sept 1915 carried a report about the King visiting Sheffield & Rotherham, then in the afternoon visiting wounded soldiers in hospitals, although it doesnt specify where exactly. However, the King spoke with several men who had "just arrived from last Sunday's fighting in France. He expressed his great admiration of the transport service, by which the men had been so rapidly removed from the battle line in France to a Northern hospital"

Thanks Jomot1 so much for all that - amazingly detailed.

Quote Originally Posted by Jomot1 View Post
    It wouldn't be impossible. The diary for the 10th Stationary Hospital at St Omer shows that although there were 750 patients by 9am on 27th Sep, they started moving them out the same day. At 3pm 285 'wounded sitting' cases were evacuated to Base (presumably the Base Hospital, from where they will have been transferred home).
    No. 10 was a Base Hospital, so Base may have actually meant home?

I thought - but my knowledge about this is very poor - that a Base Hospital was the final stop before boarding transport home?

Yes, a Base Hospital was generally the last stop before transport home, so I assumed that the reference to patients from 10 Stationary being 'evacuated to Base' meant they were going to a Base hospital for onwards evacuation home. BUT, No 10 Stationary Hospital was a Base Hospital, so Base in this context must mean something else.

The start of the hospital diary shows that they were mobilised at Burscough, Lancashire, so possibly 'Base' referred to the relevant RAMC Base in the UK. No. 10 Stationary Hospital came under Western Command, so that would fit with your reference to the 2nd Western General Hospital in Manchester.

The RAMC hospitals in the UK under Western Command were:
    No. 1 - Fazakerley Hospital, Liverpool
    No. 2 - Central Higher Grade School, Manchester
    No. 3 - Cardiff Royal Infirmary.

https://archiveshub.jisc.ac.uk/searc...6-48d846050d7f

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know and how much I have still to learn!

A fountain of knowledge

I've never seen any names of the doctors etc mentioned at all in MH106.

The news they lasted until 1975 is new to me since I was told they were put up the chimney at Battersea in the mid 1920s!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12