Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Famous for offering help & advice

Default Where is Llanerchila??

Can anyone find this place on a map - it has a population of 94 so must have existed. It appears as 'Llanerch:cula and Llanercula' in the Parish Register of 1762 when I am interested in. From descriptions I think it is south of the River Vyrnwy, though that doesn't tally with vision of Britain, but I can't find it on current or old series Ordnance Survey maps. Help......

From Genuki:

LLANSANTFFRAID YM MECHAIN, a parish .....the river Vyrnwy ....... townships of Collvryn, Llanerchila, Tredderwen-Vawr, and Trewylan, on the southern side of the same stream.

Vision of Britain has: "Llanerchila (Llanerch-Ila)
    ¶LLANERCHILA (LLANERCH-ILA), a hamlet, in that part of the parish of Llansantfraidyn-Mechan which is in the Upper division of the hundred of Deythur, in the union of Llanvyllin, county of Montgomery, North Wales, 8 miles (W. by N.) from Llanvyllin; containing 94 inhabitants."

Somebody is copy/pasting. British History Online HERE gives the same text as you give for Vision of Britain, but gives the source as "A Topographical Dictionary of Wales. Originally published by S Lewis, London, 1849.".

Mind you, I never argue with GENUKI!

Brick wall demolition expert!

There is a Lake Vrynwy and the river Vrynwy runs out of it.

Here is a link to the GENUKI page for Llansantffraid ym mechain
    https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/wal/MG...aid-ym-Mechain

I can't find Llanerchlla but I suspect that Llanvyllin is Llanfyllin.

Montgomeryshire Collections relating to Montgomeryshire & its borders - published 1 Jan 1953
    "Llansantffraid-ym-Mechain was next visited. Mr Thomas pointed out that the Parish is divided by the Vyrnwy into two hundreds of (a) Pool Lower (formerly Mechain Iscoed), comprising the townships of Treflan, Llanerchemrys, Dolwen, Melyniog Fawr, Melyniog Fach and Lledrod (now added to Bwlchycibau); (b) Llansantffraid Deytheur (Deuddwr-Vyrnwy and Cain) comprising Trederwen, Trewylan, Collfryn and Llanerchila."

You will find the hundred of Llansantffraid Deythur here https://maps.nls.uk/view/102186791
    You can see Trederwen, Trewylan and Collfryn - but not Llanerchila.

I have also checked the surrounding maps without success for Llanerchila.

A planned train route, published 1860, listed the places to be passed through and read "... Llansantffraid, Collfryn, Llanerchila, Tredderwen Fawr, Trewylan, Dolwen ...".
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Thank you Helchau, at least I'm not missing the obvious. The train route appears to create a circle so not much use sadly. I have found a reference in Welsh journals(1932)in an article entitled 'Some Records of the Free Grammar School of Deythur' that mentions the building of the school at Llanerchilla in 1690 - Llanerchilla being roughly midway between Llansantffraid & Arddleen.
    I have found on the old map a school in the area named as Deythur, which according to the 1932 article is a modern C19th naming, and marked as Deuddwr on current day maps. I am going to 'presume' that is the area that was known as Llanerchilla at one stage.
    Thanks for your help. Still strange it isn't marked on the older maps though.

"Llanerchila" - references as rare as hens' teeth!

Found "Llanerchkeela" on Welsh Tithe Maps (created 1840 thereabouts) which led to "Llanerch-celli" on this 1888 map (eastern edge).
    https://maps.nls.uk/view/102186788

Mitch,
    Are you familiar with Welsh tithe maps? I can direct you to "Llanerchkeela" on the tithe map which allows you to flip to a satellite view of the area today.

Hello helachau, no I've never looked at a Welsh tithe map in my life. Odd English one yes..... Thanks. Mitch.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch in Notts View Post
    Hello helachau, no I've never looked at a Welsh tithe map in my life. Odd English one yes..... Thanks. Mitch.
    OK - buckle your seat belt. Click on https://place.library.wales
    Pop "llandrinio" (w/out " ") in Search (tithe apportionments) and hit search button
    See "Find on map" column and tab down to blue marker No 28 (Banky leasow) and hit "View Map"
    Should now see "Llanerchkeela" - zoom out (-) to view area. There are very few reference points on Tithe maps.
    Hit back button to return to results screen and click on symbol to enlarge view of modern map on right.
    Hit "Satellite" button . If you want to hide the markers hit "Hide/display markers".
    To see tithe map hit "Tithe Map overlay".
    Are your rellies still in the area in 1840 thereabouts?. You can search by name.

Pob lwc

Starting to feel at home

I have a 1942 War Office OS map which has it as Llanerch-celli.
    You can take a virtual stroll around the area as it is now on Google Streetview- search for Rhysnant Hall Motte. Llanerch-celli is not shown on Google maps but it is only just to the west of Rhysnant Hall.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast