Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Post I think my great grandfather might not be.

I have no Thrulines for my maternal grandmothers fathers line but for every other line in my tree I have atleast one. I have also no DNA Matches that share surnames from that side in their tree. I also have a 2-3rd Cousin who did a tree up to their parents and I did research up to the level a 2nd-3rd cousin would be and there is no shared ancestor at that level at all. Same with another 3-4th cousin I have.

What more can I do to confirm or deny this?

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Suurpe View Post
    I have no Thrulines for my maternal grandmothers fathers line but for every other line in my tree I have atleast one. I have also no DNA Matches that share surnames from that side in their tree. I also have a 2-3rd Cousin who did a tree up to their parents and I did research up to the level a 2nd-3rd cousin would be and there is no shared ancestor at that level at all. Same with another 3-4th cousin I have.

What more can I do to confirm or deny this?
    Would you like to give us some names and dates and where people were born and perhaps lived. Have you checked any census records? Are you looking at what may appear to be an unusual surname and have you checked alternate spellings? Lots of questions but sure someone would be able and willing to help with more info.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by suemalings View Post
    Would you like to give us some names and dates and where people were born and perhaps lived. Have you checked any census records? Are you looking at what may appear to be an unusual surname and have you checked alternate spellings? Lots of questions but sure someone would be able and willing to help with more info.
    My Great Grandfather (i think) was Arthur Rennie Weston Born 5th May 1922 in Coventry, Warwickshire, England his father was Philip Weston and mother was Dorothy Davies.

The 2nd Cousin Match I have built up his tree up to like 4 generations were a DNA Connection would be certain but nothing is in common. I have unusual surnames on my Weston side like Garbett, Woollatt, Poulton, Meredith, and Court

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Suurpe View Post
    My Great Grandfather (i think) was Arthur Rennie Weston Born 5th May 1922 in Coventry, Warwickshire, England his father was Philip Weston and mother was Dorothy Davies.

The 2nd Cousin Match I have built up his tree up to like 4 generations were a DNA Connection would be certain but nothing is in common. I have unusual surnames on my Weston side like Garbett, Woollatt, Poulton, Meredith, and Court
    Are you actually researching your ancestors through web sites etc or just relying on DNA?

You say you think your grandfather was Arthur Weston, are you not sure? I know (from Ancestry) that Philip and Dorothy lived at the General Wolfe Hotel, in Coventry in 1939 as Philip was a Licenced Victualler. Their son (not Arthur) is also listed with them. Do you have any information on Phillip at all apart from what you may have learnt through DNA.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Yeah I know tons about that side going back to like 1600-1700s

Starting to feel at home

Hi Suurpe,

In general terms, a lack of match to a paper third cousin from your great grandfather's line is not necessarily a sign that something is awry. Such is the random nature of DNA inheritance that it is theoretically possible for a 3C not to share any DNA with you at all. (To illustrate this randomness, I have a 3C match to four siblings and my range of match with them goes from 30cM to 90cM, which is quite a difference.)

As I understand it, Thrulines only matches you to DNA cousins who have produced a tree going back through sufficient generations (you will have many matches that haven't got a tree at all, or have a just one or two generations) and who have also "attached" their DNA to that tree, which not everyone does. It is very likely that you do already have matches through that great grandfather's line but you and the service provider can't identify who they are at the present time, so they are not showing up. You may simply need to wait a while until somebody from that line appears.

It is always possible that an NPE event has taken place in the past and if that is the case you may be able to identify the real biological great grandfather through your other DNA matches, assuming you have some from that line. If you can find a group of close matches in the appropriate second/third cousin range that you can't currently place on your own family tree and they have trees which confirm their mutual ancestor from that era, you would be able to amend your own tree with that mutual ancestor's name and build his tree a few generations further back. Then see if Thrulines responds by showing you DNA matches to that person and his ancestors.

You are going to need some luck on your side to confirm or deny if your great grandfather is who he is supposed to be. Keep working on it. There will hopefully be a whole bunch of new cousins turning up in the new year as the Christmas present DNA kits get processed, which may give you answers.

Deeny

Famous for offering help & advice

From DNA you should be able to find a lot of matches that don't fit anywhere - especially as it being within the last 100 years. I have a William HALES born 1845 Norfolk - Father was William who abandoned his family. The HALES line can be traced back to the 1600s BUT I have no DNA matches pre William 1845. What I do have were a lot of DNA matches containing the 'DREW' surname in that area. There was a William DREW, Widower, resident in the same village for a decade as William 1845s Mother. I can be fairly confident due to DNA matching that the DREW is Williams natural father and not the HALES. With your query being more recent it should be easier to identify any anomalies in matching. I wish I could solve some of my other brickwalls as simply.