Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    A fountain of knowledge

Default BEYNON/SAMUEL: WALES TO USA - AND BACK?

BEYNON/SAMUEL: WALES TO USA - AND BACK?

I'd welcome any input, particularly Passenger list info for John Beynon and family/families.
    i can't access American records.

My research is on an Ancestry tree Watson Hughes Clarke.
    This is the link to John Beynon
    https://www.
    ancestry.co.uk/family-tree/person/tree/80573411/person/172320270572/facts

1880 US Census*.John Beynon born c1855 in Wales and Friswith J Beynon born c1860
    in Wales are living in Shenandoah, Schuylkill, Pennsylvania, USA. with daughter Sarah Ann Beynon,b1878 Shenandoah.
    John is a miner.(see below re Sarah**)

Friswith SAMUEL bQ4 1859 Cardiff.
    Father Howell Samuel 1835-1902 marries 1857 Cardiff Mary Jenkins 1839-1925
    In the 1870 USA census they are also in Shenandoah but return to Wales 1892 with some children where they both die.

Friswith marries John Beynon 1.8.1878 Shenandoah.John died pre 1896 and Friswith unknown, but did they stay in USA and die there?is this his Birth? John E Beynon 22nd August 1855 born in Pembrokeshire, South Wales.

*1880 US Census. Sarah Ann Beynon, dau of John Beynon born c1855 in Wales and Friswith J Beynon born c1860 in Wales are living in Shenandoah, Schuylkill, Pennsylvania, USA. John is a miner.Living next to Friswith's Parents and family. Father Howell a Miner"

** SARAH ANN BEYNON
    From the 1880 USA census Sarah was born 1879. I place her next when she marries.
    BEYNON, Sarah to THOMAS, Isaac. Reg Q2 1896 Pontypridd 11a 808.
    Probably the Marriage took place in Tonyrefail. when it's understood her Father John Beynon was deceased. NB I then have her
    and Isaac's details as someone contacted me from the Thomas side as about a century ago a Thomas married a Rowland since my Paternal side were from Tonyrefail.

So to cut a long story short I'd welcome clarification as to who was where and when!!
    I hope I've explained this properly - I think I may have got lost at some stage!. with thanks Jill
    Last edited by Pam Downes; 13-12-2021 at 7:10 AM. Reason: Direct link to commercial site broken as per our T&Cs. Also clarified marriage detals for Sarah Beynon.

A fountain of knowledge

PS a moderator please
    Sorry this has come up under Navigating B Gen in error. I couldn't remember how to post a new thread and
    tied myself in knots - not sure whether to post under Welsh or American site?

Moved to General Welsh Family History with the original title.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Famous for offering help & advice

This doesn't answer your question, and you may already have it - but from ebook History of Schuylkill County PA online by George Thornton Fleming p107
    John E Beynon was born in Pembrokeshire South Wales August 22nd 1855. In 1873 he came to Pennsylvania stopping in Luzerne County until August 1877 when he became a resident of Shenandoah. He was married August 1st 1878 to Fraswith, daughter of Howell Samuels if Shenandoah. He has followed mining from a young age and still mines a portion of the time. Since January 1879 he has kept the Cambrian Hotel.

Famous for offering help & advice

Quote Originally Posted by grisel View Post
    This doesn't answer your question, and you may already have it - but from ebook History of Schuylkill County PA online by George Thornton Fleming p107
    John E Beynon was born in Pembrokeshire South Wales August 22nd 1855. In 1873 he came to Pennsylvania stopping in Luzerne County until August 1877 when he became a resident of Shenandoah. He was married August 1st 1878 to Fraswith, daughter of Howell Samuels if Shenandoah. He has followed mining from a young age and still mines a portion of the time. Since January 1879 he has kept the Cambrian Hotel.
    I can't see a birth to easily match Aug 1855 so far though.
    I've been looking at the John son of David in Begelly Pembrokeshire as David was a collier, but I think this John may have died in 1870. Father David seems to have died around then too. I don't subscribe to anything to check.

A fountain of knowledge

THANKS TO

PAM for amending what I did wrong under the T & Cs and CHRISTINA for moving my posting.

GRISEL Very many thanks for yours 4 info online from USA which is very interesting. I had some info
    from USA but very sketchy.
    This seems to confirm the possible dob I had for him and all I can find as a possible birth is
    BEYNON, JOHN. mmn EVANS
    GRO Reference: 1856 M Quarter in PEMBROKE Volume 11A Page 622 but don't have enough to go
    on as like you I don't have access to a lot of records.

The only information I can find on these people is on a tree where the source is the ebook History of Schuylkill County PA .
    On familysearch there is a John Beynon age 17 in the 1860 US census with parents Richard Beynon 41, Sarah age 41, brother Walter 12 (all, including John born Wales. Then there are two sisters Sarah Jane 4 and Margaret 2 born Pennsylvania. Address East Ward Borough Tamaqua, Schuylkill, Pennsylvania, United States.
    That would make Johns birth c 1843 which seems a long way from the birthdate given of 1855. Like grisel I can't find a birth in the September quarter 1855 in Pembrokeshire for John although there is one in the Sept 1/4 1856.
    At the moment I am investigating a John Beynon with his mother? Elizabeth and siblings in the 1861 Wales census. Elizabeth is married to a William Jolly but all the children have the surname Beynon and all born in Pembrokeshire. Just to rule them in or out. It appears that the birth reg for George Beynon age 3 in the census is Haverfordwest March 1/4 1858 middle name Henry. Mother's maiden name John.
    There is also a birth reg for John Beynon Sept 1/4 1844 Haverfordwest mmn John.
    William Jolly and Eliza Beynon married Sept 1/4 1857 Pembroke reg dist.
    Richard Beynon and Eliza John married Dec 1/4 1838 reg dist Pembroke.
    Leaving this for a while my eyes are rolling.
    Christina
    William Burroughs

A fountain of knowledge

CHRISTINA

No wonder "your eyes are rolling" - my head is spinning! It's so good of you to have taken the time to have looked into this for me and the Beynon/John side. Re the date for a John Beynon in the 1860 US census not matching the dob I was given from USA.
    I have noticed that with several American Death Notices/Obits for other welsh that went to USA and died that the facts are wrong.

Interestingly there is a connection to a John family that I already have which is on my Anc tree but all are from the Llantrisant/Tonyrefail area so perhaps my being told John was from Pembrokeshire is incorrect. It's odd no one can find any Passenger lists as I can't think how else to clarify research. The connection to John is that John E Beynon married Friswith J Samuel. Her Father married Friswith JOHN whose
    Parents were Evan John who married Cecilia John. In the 1861 census John B's wife Friswith and her Mother Mary are with Cecilia John
    144 Mill Street , Tonyrefail, Glamorgan. "

"Cecilia John. Hd. Farmer's Widow.79y b1782. Margaret John Dau Unm 51y b1810 Housekeeper. Robert John (Marg's son) 19y b1842 Collier. Mary Samuel Grand dau Marr 22y b1839 Collier's Wife. Friswith Samuel Visitor 1y b1860 All born Glamorgan."

Again very many thanks - your input is much appreciated. Jill.

*1880 US Census. Sarah Ann Beynon, dau of John Beynon born c1855 in Wales and Friswith J Beynon born c1860 in Wales are living in Shenandoah, Schuylkill, Pennsylvania, USA. John is a miner.Living next to Friswith's Parents and family. Father Howell a Miner"
    I can't see the above births on the GRO index as yet but there is this one.

David Samuel Beynon Dec 1/4 1860 reg dist Merthyr Tydfil yol 11a page 279 mother's maiden name Samuel, but there is a marriage in Merthyr Tydfil on FreeBMD with a Thomas Beynon and Rachel Samuel on the same page.

Christina (who is trying to get some 'me' time but failing miserably)
    William Burroughs

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post
    I can't see the above births on the GRO index as yet but there is this one.
    I too was going at the original statement of
    *1880 US Census. Sarah Ann Beynon, dau of John Beynon born c1855 in Wales and Friswith J Beynon born c1860 in Wales are living in Shenandoah, Schuylkill, Pennsylvania, USA
    Then it gradually became unravelled.
    Sarah was born c 1878 in the US.
    John Beynon was allegedly born c1855 in Wales.
    Friswith's birth was registered December quarter 1859, Cardiff registration district, as Friswith SAMUEL, mother's maiden name Jenkins.

On the GRO site, there are seven plain John Beynon births registered in 1855, plus one with a middle name.
    Eight registered in 1854. No further ones with a middle name.
    Three registered in 1856. No further ones with a middle name.

Jill - have you checked for a John Beynon in the 1860 and 1870 US census?

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast