Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Davison's from Houghton Le Spring

Hello one and all,
    I have in isolation gone as far as I think I can go with my limited ability in researching my ‘Davison’ tree. I have gone back to the early 1700s and I need someone who is more experienced in these matters to look over the entries and put me on the right track which I may, in some parts, I may of strayed from the true line. As I said at the beginning of this I have done this without any assistance and I wish to have someone, if possible, confirm or point out the false entries so as a true document I can make it available to the family. We live in a very small village miles away from any city which does not help. (Bawley Point NSW)
    I finally admit I need pointers to take it a more precise record.
    Thanks for any help that maybe given, to 78 year old Pom who left home at 15 and England in 1969
    Regards
    Maurice Davison (Alan)
    Kelpie272ATinternodeDOTonDOTnet

Welcome to the British-Genealogy forums.
    Do you have your tree online anywhere? If not then we need to know names, dates of birth, marriage and death and the places these occurred.
    Do you have your direct line in the 1841-1911 censuses? If so if you could give us the references for each census that will help enormously. !841 is HO107 then piece number, book number, folio and page numbers. !851 - 1901 don't have the book numbers but do have the actual place of birth not just a Yes or No as to whether born in the county where they are living.
    How about you give us the details for the family you are certain are your correct direct line and we can take it from there.
    Sorry got to abandon this to direct hedge cutting operations!
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post
    Welcome to the British-Genealogy forums.
    Do you have your tree online anywhere? If not then we need to know names, dates of birth, marriage and death and the places these occurred.
    Do you have your direct line in the 1841-1911 censuses? If so if you could give us the references for each census that will help enormously. !841 is HO107 then piece number, book number, folio and page numbers. !851 - 1901 don't have the book numbers but do have the actual place of birth not just a Yes or No as to whether born in the county where they are living.
    How about you give us the details for the family you are certain are your correct direct line and we can take it from there.
    Sorry got to abandon this to direct hedge cutting operations!
    Christina
    Thank you,
    I do not have it on line I need assistance to find the best place. but would be willing to do so. In the mean time
    William John Davison B 1837 Houghton Le Spring Durham Eng D 1897 Sunderland UK
    Married Mary Ann Hall on 18 12 1860
    They had eight children
    I am willing to give a copy of a gedcom file
    Regards Alan
    Am I doing the right thing on this site?

Welcome to the British Genealogy Forum. People approach approach BritGen in all sorts of ways, but I think that the best way is to do as you did in your second question as ask a specific question. Then our volunteers can see whether or not it's within their field of expertise or not. It's a good idea to ask about the next stage from something you are sure about, and say what you're looking for. For example, referring back to your question above, are you looking for the parents of William and Mary, info about the 8 children, or all of it. Say what you know about that family, it's discouraging to spend time hunting for something, only to get the answer "I knew that".
    I have written a message about how to prepare posts which may, at least, amuse you. Click HERE.

This is turning into a research thread rather than a "Hello, I'm Me" thread, so I am going to move it to the Durham forum where people who know about the area may see it. You can ask any Moderator to do such thinks if you think it's needed.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by kelpie View Post
    Thank you,
    I do not have it on line I need assistance to find the best place. but would be willing to do so. In the mean time
    They had eight children
    Regards Alan
    There is a tree on Ancestry which shows William's birth as 1837, marriage 1860 and death1 December 1910 in Sunderland. His parents are listed as being Isaac (1812 - 1883) and Maria Stevenson.

Isaac father is listed as being William (1785 - 1863) mother Mary Dodd

You have probably got all this info anyway. But the tree may be of interest to you especially as you are probably related to the owner!

Super Moderator

Thank you,
    They had eight children
    Regards Alan
    The tree on Ancestry shows 10 children, not 8.

Famous for offering help & advice

I think his name was just William, and that William J was his son. As has been said, he died 1 Dec 1910 and is buried at St Stephen's, Willington (see FindaGrave).

As Jomo1 says it is the son of William snr who has the middle name John
    Baptism
    William Davison
    birth Date 31 March 1837
    Baptised 26 April 1837
    At Houghton-le-Spring, Durham
    Father - Isaac Davison
    Mother = Maria Davison
    FHL film 893831

1851 census HO107 Piece 2393 folio 226 page 16
    Sunderland Lane Houghton Le Spring
    Isaac Davison 39 Ag Lab
    Maria Davison 37
    William Davison 14 Mason's Labourer
    Isaac Davison 10
    Joseph Davison 8
    Jonathan Davison 6
    Matthew Davison 3 Months
    All born Houghton Le Springs except Maria born Stanhope Durham

Birth registration for Matthew onthe GRO index
    DAVISON, MATTHEW mother's maiden name Stephenson
    GRO Reference: 1851 March Quarter registration dostrict HOUGHTON LE SPRING Vol 24 Page 211

DAVISON, JOSEPH mmn STEPHENSON
    GRO Reference: 1842 Dec Quarter reg dist HOUGHTON-LE SPRING UNION Vol 24 Page 152

Jonathan's (use that spelling) birth reg is also on the GRO index but I can't find Isaac's. Of course until 1874 it wasn't the parent's responsibilty to register their children's births so it may not have been done. William's is not there because registration didn't start until September 1/4 1837 and he was baptised in March of that year.
    Christina
    William Burroughs

"England Marriages, 1538–1973 ", database, FamilySearch
    Marriage
    Isaac Davidson to Maria Stevenson (spelling on the transcript)at Bishopwearmouth, Durham. 15 October 1836. No father's names given.
    Christina
    William Burroughs

Famous for offering help & advice

Isaac the father was baptised 19 Feb 1813 at Houghton le Spring, parents William (a cordwainer) and Mary.

This was just after the Barrington era, but from the baptisms of their earlier children you can confirm the previous generation, eg:

(Isaac's brother) Mathew Davison born 10 Feb 1803 baptised 18 April 1803, 1st son of William Davison cordwainer, native of Houghton by Mary Dodds native of Emon Bridge, Westmoreland

(Isaac's sister) Elizabeth Davison of Houghton born 1 Aug 1799, baptised 27 Oct 1799, 1st daughter of William Davison, shoemaker, native of Houghton by his wife Mary formerly Dodds, native of Evenbridge in Cumberland.

Marriage at Houghton le Spring 15 Oct 1798 - William Davison & Mary Dod, both of this parish, by Banns

Assuming William was c21 when he married Mary, then his DoB would be c1777, which leads to:

Baptism at Houghton le Spring 20 Jul 1777 - Wm s/o Thos Davison & Hannah

There is a marriage at Houghton le Spring on 7 Jun 1767, Thomas Davison & Hannah Wilkinson.