Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default WWI Service Record, RAF, R.G.Vine, 160020

Hi,
    I am a seasoned Family History researcher, but usually deal with Army and Royal Navy. I have been asked to assist a friend decipher and RAF Service History Record, and I am struggling. Can anyone please assist. I am unable to attach a copy of the relevant section to this message, but add the details of the record and its location.
    160020, Reginald George Vine, Born 10th Jan 1897, Manchester, Lancs. Enlisted 17th April 1918, until 30th December 1919, and Electrician, Reclassified to A.C./2 1st January 1919. (which I have assumed to be Aircraftsman 2nd Class). He was awarded the B.W. &V. Medals, 4th May 1922. (which would be the War and Victory Medals.) He served in France from 5th October 1918 to 27th November 1919.
    I found the Service Record on Find My Past, but also popped up on other sites.
    I have about 8 lines of Movements to understand, just to get a feel of where he was, and what he might have been doing.
    I can email a copy of the Service record if reqd.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Regards
    Richard A Pugh. richardapugh59ATgmailDOTcom
    Last edited by christanel; 05-12-2021 at 6:31 PM. Reason: email address disguised to deter spam

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Richard A Pugh View Post
    Hi,
    I am a seasoned Family History researcher, but usually deal with Army and Royal Navy. I have been asked to assist a friend decipher and RAF Service History Record, and I am struggling. Can anyone please assist. I am unable to attach a copy of the relevant section to this message, but add the details of the record and its location.
    160020, Reginald George Vine, Born 10th Jan 1897, Manchester, Lancs. Enlisted 17th April 1918, until 30th December 1919, and Electrician, Reclassified to A.C./2 1st January 1919. (which I have assumed to be Aircraftsman 2nd Class). He was awarded the B.W. &V. Medals, 4th May 1922. (which would be the War and Victory Medals.) He served in France from 5th October 1918 to 27th November 1919.
    I found the Service Record on Find My Past, but also popped up on other sites.
    I have about 8 lines of Movements to understand, just to get a feel of where he was, and what he might have been doing.
    I can email a copy of the Service record if reqd.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Regards
    Richard A Pugh. richardapugh59ATgmailDOTcom
    There is a tree on Ancestry which includes Reginald, unfortunately the Air Force records only open to Fold 3 and I do not have a subscription so cannot look at the records. He is on the 1939 register in (what looks like) Colchester Street, Westminster as an Electrician, Automobile. There is a note "Enroled A.F.S. Not yet accepted"

Quote Originally Posted by suemalings View Post
    There is a tree on Ancestry which includes Reginald, unfortunately the Air Force records only open to Fold 3 and I do not have a subscription so cannot look at the records. He is on the 1939 register in (what looks like) Colchester Street, Westminster as an Electrician, Automobile. There is a note "Enroled A.F.S. Not yet accepted"
    Hi
    Thanks for the message and info.
    Yes that is the same person, I already have a copy of the Service Record which Ancestry Fold 3 would reveal. The National Archives pointed directly to Find My Past.
    the 1939 Register is again the same person, he is using his electrical skills in Car Repairs, and has applied to be an AFS (which I assume is the Auxilliary Fire Service), and would be a Night Time role, similar to the ARP Wardens etc.
    Regards
    Richard
    Last edited by Richard A Pugh; 06-12-2021 at 7:28 PM. Reason: slight correction, and added comment

Famous for offering help & advice simmo1's Avatar

Hi

Can you post a copy of the record on here?

regards

Robert
    Remembering

My Father 1819170 Lance Bombardier Robert Simpson 39/14 L.A.A. R.A.

Quote Originally Posted by simmo1 View Post
    Hi

Can you post a copy of the record on here?

regards

Robert
    Hi Robert,

It would appear Not.
    Richard

A copy of the whole record would be too big and the system would reject it. A complete copy would be against our T&C regarding other owner's copyright anyway.
    However, it sounds as though it's part of a page that's giving a problem. Could you scan that bit and post it? One of my fellow Mods has posted a method for uploading photos HERE .

Quote Originally Posted by Lesley Robertson View Post
    A copy of the whole record would be too big and the system would reject it. A complete copy would be against our T&C regarding other owner's copyright anyway.
    However, it sounds as though it's part of a page that's giving a problem. Could you scan that bit and post it? One of my fellow Mods has posted a method for uploading photos HERE .

These are the three areas that I need the assistance with
    Regards
    Richard
    Last edited by Richard A Pugh; 08-12-2021 at 2:32 PM. Reason: Spelling

Hi What parts do you need help with in those?
    I think the authority codes refer to entries in different army orders.
    Have a look at abbreviations here - https://www.researchingww1.co.uk/ww1abbreviations
    https://www.airhistory.org.uk/rfc/abbreviations.html
    https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/sold...rst-world-war/

regards

Robert
    Remembering

Quote Originally Posted by simmo1 View Post
    Hi What parts do you need help with in those?
    I think the authority codes refer to entries in different army orders.
    Have a look at abbreviations here - https://www.researchingww1.co.uk/ww1abbreviations
    https://www.airhistory.org.uk/rfc/abbreviations.html
    https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/sold...rst-world-war/

regards

Robert
    Hi Robert
    I would like help with:-
    Time Forfeited: states Cause to be Pay RW, and then says 2 Days.
    I have assumed this to be a loss of Pay as a Fine for some Misdemeanor??? would like to know what RW stands for.

In his Movements Record an entry relates to Hospital.
    17.12.18 he is sent to AD3, from the Abbreviations I have seen I took this to mean Air Depot No.3, where he is posted to work ?, but the next entry says, From Hospital, 14.8.19. Do we assume that he may have been injured and sent to hospital, if so would that have been from the prior entry dated 17.12.18? His record makes no Notes relating to Hospital or Wounds / Injuries.

That is a couple to start with

Regards
    Richard

HI Richard

RAF stuff is beyond my knowledge and since no one else is replying, can I suggest you ask thse questions on The Great War Forum. More people there will know than here.

regards

Robert
    Remembering

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast