Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1921 census

Brick wall demolition expert!

Default 1921 census

I've been thinking about which searches I will prioritise when it is released.

One of those will be for my grandfather as I don't know whether he was at home or in the army. I've not been able to find his WW1 record but I know that he was part of the army of occupation based somewhere near Cologne. I don't know when he was demobbed.

Does anyone know if the census will included soldiers not yet demobbed irrespective of where they were stationed?

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Don't know the answer to the census question, but have you tried to find him on electoral rolls in 1919 onwards? Can't remember the precise details, but soldiers who were still serving were either listed with a special code letter against their name or else they were listed in a separate section which I believe was called 'Absent voters'.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Thanks for the suggestion Pam.

I don't know what I'm doing but I can't find Caernarvonshire electoral rolls online. Does anyone know if they are?

Presumably you had to be 21 to be included? He was born in 1899.

Reputation beyond repute

Does anyone know if the census will included soldiers not yet demobbed irrespective of where they were stationed?
    I don't know but the National Archives catalogue shows a subsection of RG15 (the 1921 census returns) entitled "Army". Sounds hopeful!

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    I don't know but the National Archives catalogue shows a subsection of RG15 (the 1921 census returns) entitled "Army". Sounds hopeful!
    My grandfather is showing as an Absent Voter on the Electoral Rolls in Birmingham in 1919. He did not come from Birmingham, so I do not know why he would show at this address, along with a lot of other army personnel

Valued member of Brit-Gen

Sue
    What is the address? Perhaps I can elaborate what the building was

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    It does indeed. Thanks.

Famous for offering help & advice

well I've spent my first £3.50. I guess what I didn't take on board was that, unlike the 1911 census, the address of a household is not written on the same page as that household, but on the previous page, for which I would have to pay another £3.50 to view (or £2.50 for the transcript).

Quote Originally Posted by wimsey View Post
    well I've spent my first £3.50. I guess what I didn't take on board was that, unlike the 1911 census, the address of a household is not written on the same page as that household, but on the previous page, for which I would have to pay another £3.50 to view (or £2.50 for the transcript).
    Hi Wimsey, as yet I haven't used the 1921 census as I first need to consult my tree and work out which ancestors would help me build my tree.

However I saw this tip, try it and see if it works.

When buying the image you need the film strip at the bottom open, then choose the extra materials link which takes you to the front cover and instructions in the same purchase, which is where you find the address.
    Alma

Famous for offering help & advice

Quote Originally Posted by wimsey View Post
    sorry, seems I was wrong about that. Thanks Pam.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast