Starting to feel at home

Default William Collier brickwall

Hi,

I may have posted about William before but I am revisiting this section of my tree to see if I can break this brickwall.
    William Collier was born in Windsor (according to the census 1851) in about 1801. He was a plasterer and lived in the area all his life. He died in 1861.
    (His son George bc 1833 was my direct ancestor. He joined the army and had a lengthy and varied career).
    William however remains a mystery I realise that this is probably because he was poor and his life was not well documented.
    William married Elizabeth Lewis (also untraceable before her marriage)in 1824 at St George in Hanover Square.
    Their children were Frederick, William,George,John,Esther, Elizabeth, Mary, Charlotte and Matilda.
    There is a possibility that William was the Child of William Collier and Martha Bovingdon as they lived in Buckingham about 5 miles from Windsor. They married in the 1790's (children Henry, William Mary Ann)
    A William Collier bc 1776 died in Winsor in 1827 and a Martha Collier died in nearby Datchet in 1832.
    Is it reasonable to assume they were William's parents?
    The name Martha was never repeated in the next generation though this may be irrelevant.

Regards
    B

Famous for offering help & advice

In 1841 They are possibly mistranscribed as CALLIER. Also possible error on the son,Williams age. William senior and Elizabeth state N for born in county.

Class: HO107; Piece: 37
    Book: 3,Folio: 4,Page: 2,Line: 19,

Added: There are marks in the column for born in Ireland,Scotland ,Wales or Foreign parts. I can’t decipher the mark.
    Last edited by Pam Downes; 04-12-2021 at 11:05 AM. Reason: GSU Roll number deleted. Copyright of FamilySerach, and also not relevant to census reference number.

Starting to feel at home

Quote Originally Posted by Pamelawagster View Post
    In 1841 They are possibly mistranscribed as CALLIER. Also possible error on the son,Williams age. William senior and Elizabeth state N for born in
    Class: HO107; Piece: 37

My William senior died in 1827.

Book: 3,Folio: 4,Page: 2,Line: 19,

Added: There are marks in the column for born in Ireland,Scotland ,Wales or Foreign parts. I can’t decipher the mark.
    Yes, that is the family and I always thought the marks were lines for not applicable.
    Elizabeth seems to have been born in either Newbury or Wantage depending on which census you look at.
    Do you think the N for William could mean that the earlier William and his wife Martha from Burnham in Buckinghamshire were after all William's parents?

Regards
    B