Default I am New in Forum, small introduce...

Hello Everyone!

I'm new to the forum and just wanted to introduce myself.

My name is Björn and I live in Germany. I am looking for
    according to the origin of my family and believe that the
    origin is to be found in England.

The family name Boveland does not appear that often, all individuals which I
    have found so far (Germany / Switzerland / Netherlands) whith the familyname
    Boveland can be traced back to 1630 in a small village called Krudenburg close to Wesel in North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany. But bevor 1630 there are no records to be found.

While researching, I came across some entries that the name occurs in
    England / Scotland and Ireland and also bevore 1600 century.

I think i can be possible, maybe my ancestors left England in 1554 when Catholic Restoration under Maria Tudor (1553-58) starts, some of them emigrate to America a nother part emigrate to Germany.

The city of Wesel took in many refugees there built their community in exile.

Unfortunately, it is currently not possible to visit the city archive of Wesel to obtain information. Due to the COVID virus, no visitors are allowed.

The entries that pointed me in this direction to search in England was:

1.)
    John BOVELAND (fl. 1491)
    19 Oct. 1491 He and Margaret Bakhouse (q.v.) Were granted a dispensation to marry
    within the fourth degree of consanguinity.
    (“The Register of Thomas Rotherham, Archbishop of York 1480-1500
    vol. 1 ”ed. Eric E. Barker, pub. The Canterbury and York Society, 1974, p.64)

3.)
    The Somersetshire family of Hywis or Huish, is carefully traced in the
    pedigree. Of the Devonshire descent Sir W. Pole writes, p. 347, "Stowford, or Stafford, and Boveland (in North Devon), did Philip de Hiwis hold in KingHenry II's time (1154-89), unto whom succeeded three of the name of William. The last Sir William married Jone, daughter and heir of Sir Richard Bauceyn ......

That is the reason why I have joined this forum, maybe I will find information here that will help me,or maybe you have a few ideas where I could look.

Greetings in the form of Björn

Welcome to the British Genealogy Forum. The way we generally work if that people post questions and the other members do their best to help.
    Don’t forget that people have been traveling around Western Europe since the Romans, you also get small families in unusual places. For example, I have just checked Black’s Surnames of Scotland (the main work on the subject) and there is no mention of Boveland. That does not mean that nobody called Boveland ever lived there, just that there were not many of them.
    Also, importantly, with rare names you need to remember that name spellings varied enormously, right up to WW1. In the period you seem to be interested in, literacy levels were very low (even the Lords kept clerks rather than write). Check any possible variation.

Starting to feel at home

Would Bovellan be a possible spelling? Or Bovell?
    Last edited by Denis Poore; 03-12-2021 at 12:01 AM. Reason: Addition

Hi Lesley, and hello Denis,

thanks for answering, this spellings i have to check, maybe it goes in the correct
    direktion to search. My English is not so good for the derivation of names in English speach.

In german speach i found only 3 different spellings from the churches recording :
    Bowenland, Bavenland, Bawenlandt, but this was possibe to compare with the church records.

The problem is the big gap between 1630 to the previous possible matches i found in Enland,
    to confirm them to see if it is the correct area to search.

I found some other Family names where the spelling is close to Boveland :
    Boweland, Bovland, Bowland, they have lived all in the area of york / Yorkshire.

Best regards Björn