Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Famous for offering help & advice

Quote Originally Posted by Jomot1 View Post
    I think that may be the family I posted up at #17. They all say they were born Galashiels but the address on every census - from before and after their births - is Bridge Street, Melrose (and/or) Ladhope, Selkirkshire
    Yes I think you are correct. It seems that at some dates parts of Galashiels were in Melrose Roxburghshire and parts in Selkirkshire! There is a good explanation on a rootschat thread called 'Galashiels Melrose and Ladhope!!'

Famous for offering help & advice

Also if Thomas's address on enlistment was Bridge St I don't think it could be 287 as numbers don't seem to go that high.

Settling in

Quote Originally Posted by helachau View Post
    The Joseph J Gillis, No 5285, that attested 10 Dec 1901, age 18yrs 7mths, in the Scots Greys, Dragoons of the line, gave his birth place as "the Parish of Galashiels near the town of Galashiels" trade "ironmonger". He gave his next of kin as "Jane Gillis, sister, 26 High Street, Dalkeith".

Re. previous post, what were Thomas' 6 South African medals in order to compare with those listed on his army record?

Correction - just spotted it's "Gillies" with an "e", not Gillis.
    (must try harder!)
    Hard to read Medals and enlistment and discharge want to get better copies HOW. Medals are Orange Free State,Transvall , Talana Laing Nek,Ladysmith Queens south Africa.

Settling in

Doesn't his FMP record say "69 RFA Preston" against the question "Have you ever served in any Military or Police Force, ..."

The Thomas Gillis attested 4 Mar 1897 was in the 69th R.A.

Like you, struggling to make out the name of the street in Galashiels. Looks like "No 287 Br..i--?
    I thought maybe it was a 2 for an apartment or something at 87 braily as it had a little mark after the 2
    Last edited by lwyndhvn; 03-12-2021 at 4:00 PM. Reason: spelling

Settling in

Quote Originally Posted by grisel View Post
    Also if Thomas's address on enlistment was Bridge St I don't think it could be 287 as numbers don't seem to go that high.
    The address on his NWMP application may have been his uncle or just his last residence before he came back to Canada.

Settling in

Quote Originally Posted by lwyndhvn View Post
    I thought maybe it was a 2 for an apartment or something at 87 braily as it had a little mark after the 2
    Hard to read Medals and enlistment and discharge want to get better copies HOW. Medals are Orange Free State,Transvall , Talana Laing Nek,Ladysmith Queens south Africa.
    I have a page of his enlistment that has an address ,but it is difficult to figure out.It is from his NWMP application that can be found at collectionscanada.gc.ca
    North West Mounted Police-Personal Records1873-1904 I also found a Margaret Stewart born in Peebles on June 20/1850 and a Margaret Stewart born in Galashiels on jan 11 1848 who could his mother.
    The census record I have in 1880 has a William Gillis with wife Margaret living in San Fransisco with a son William age 7 so not likely him unless someone put the wrong info on his obit.I really do appreciate the help .Many Thanks
    Louise
    His physical description on both records is similar - heightwise 1/8th of an inch difference, reference to scar on knee ('tho NWMP record difficult to read).
    Did you read all 52 pages Wow he was interesting. I am wondering why on his death certificate it put his mother as Jane Stewart and father as James when all records say his father was Thomas and mother was Margaret.

Did you read all 52 pages Wow he was interesting. I am wondering why on his death certificate it put his mother as Jane Stewart and father as James when all records say his father was Thomas and mother was Margaret.
    I asked you if you read , or rather" .. combed his military record" - had you? From what I've spotted you haven't. Would you agree?
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Settling in

The records I have from his war experience are the Boer War That not original and from another site.They are hard to read and may not be complete I have the complete file from His NWMP and only his enlistment 1906 from US army Cuba War and his promotion to Corporal in the 18th battery Field Artillery and Sergeant in the same in 1907

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234