Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Settling in

Quote Originally Posted by lwyndhvn View Post
    My Thomas was born between 1871 and 1876 .He was suppose to come to Canada at about age 9 after being raised in Birmingham till then. Not sure where he left from. I do Have a Thomas W. Gillis coming here in 1886 on Jan 15.genesreunited travel records though did not get all info
    I have a page of his enlistment that has an address ,but it is difficult to figure out.It is from his NWMP application that can be found at collectionscanada.gc.ca
    North West Mounted Police-Personal Records1873-1904 I also found a Margaret Stewart born in Peebles on June 20/1850 and a Margaret Stewart born in Galashiels on jan 11 1848 who could his mother.
    The census record I have in 1880 has a William Gillis with wife Margaret living in San Fransisco with a son William age 7 so not likely him unless someone put the wrong info on his obit.I really do appreciate the help .Many Thanks
    Louise

Settling in

The only address was on the first page something Galashiels

Settling in

That is the info I have also though i did not see the address. It was after that he came back to Canada to the NWMP. He lost the medals while traveling and they replaced them according to his NWMP file

Settling in

That is the info I have also though i did not see the address. It was after that he came back to Canada to the NWMP. He lost the medals while traveling and they replaced them according to his NWMP file
    Not sure if the info I posted on a Thomas Gillis who traveled to Canada in 1887 I found on Genesreuntied posted

Famous for offering help & advice

The only address was on the first page something Galashiels
    Sorry I only gave the Uncle's address before.
    Yes indeed Thomas does have an address that is hard to read.
    Maybe 287 then a word that looks a bit like Braily but is maybe Bridge St, Galashiels Glasgow Scotland. Galashiels is not in Glasgow. He may have sailed from there I guess.
    I looked at a list of street names in Galashiels and can't see anything quite right. Starts with a B or could be an R, then maybe an r and possibly an e or an a. There is definitely an i in it and a letter with an upstroke followed by a letter with a downstroke.

Doesn't his FMP record say "69 RFA Preston" against the question "Have you ever served in any Military or Police Force, ..."

The Thomas Gillis attested 4 Mar 1897 was in the 69th R.A.

Like you, struggling to make out the name of the street in Galashiels. Looks like "No 287 Br..i--?
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

His physical description on both records is similar - heightwise 1/8th of an inch difference, reference to scar on knee ('tho NWMP record difficult to read).

On RMP record he gives last address as "Preston England". Also mentions 5yrs service R.F.A - and there's a reference early on to "farrier, Royal Horse Artillery".

Have you combed his full 59 page RMP record? It's not the easiest to navigate or read. Still not half way!!

In SP valuation rolls 1897 to 1905(at least)there is a Robert Gillies 26 Bridge St Galashiels.

Quote Originally Posted by grisel View Post
    In SP valuation rolls 1897 to 1905(at least)there is a Robert Gillies 26 Bridge St Galashiels.
    I think that may be the family I posted up at #17. They all say they were born Galashiels but the address on every census - from before and after their births - is Bridge Street, Melrose (and/or) Ladhope, Selkirkshire

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast