Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Famous for offering help & advice

Quote Originally Posted by lwyndhvn View Post
    Northwest Mounted Police in Canada 1902-1905 giving a John Gillis as his Uncle
    Was there an address for this Uncle?

Quote Originally Posted by Jomot1 View Post
    Was there an address for this Uncle?
    You can find this in the Collections Canada website in their Employment Records database. The address is just Galashiels, no further detail.

The Thomas Gillis, No. 19007 that attested 4 Mar 1897, age 24yrs 1 mth, in the Royal Artillery, gave his birth place as "the parish of Galashiels, near the town of Galashiels", trade "Seaman". He gave next of kin as "Father Thomas, address not known".
    He was discharged 30 May 1902 and gave his intended place of residence as "42 Dickerson Street, Willmorton, Derby"
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

The Joseph J Gillis, No 5285, that attested 10 Dec 1901, age 18yrs 7mths, in the Scots Greys, Dragoons of the line, gave his birth place as "the Parish of Galashiels near the town of Galashiels" trade "ironmonger". He gave his next of kin as "Jane Gillis, sister, 26 High Street, Dalkeith".

Re. previous post, what were Thomas' 6 South African medals in order to compare with those listed on his army record?

Correction - just spotted it's "Gillies" with an "e", not Gillis.
    (must try harder!)
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Quote Originally Posted by helachau View Post
    The Joseph J Gillis, No 5285, that attested 10 Dec 1901, age 18yrs 7mths, in the Scots Greys, Dragoons of the line, gave his birth place as "the Parish of Galashiels near the town of Galashiels" trade "ironmonger". He gave his next of kin as "Jane Gillis, sister, 26 High Street, Dalkeith".

Re. previous post, what were Thomas' 6 South African medals in order to compare with those listed on his army record?

Correction - just spotted it's "Gillies" with an "e", not Gillis.
    (must try harder!)
    The Jane Gilles in Dalkeith in 1901 census index is a Jane J C Gilles. Checking on SP free searc she would seem to be Jane Johnstone C Gillies b Coldingham 1864. Checking with FS , Jane Johnstone Clazie Gillies, father Turnbull Gillies, mother Isabella Melrose

The Gilles spelling varies!

Quote Originally Posted by grisel View Post
    The Jane Gilles in Dalkeith in 1901 census index is a Jane J C Gilles. Checking on SP free searc she would seem to be Jane Johnstone C Gillies b Coldingham 1864. Checking with FS , Jane Johnstone Clazie Gillies, father Turnbull Gillies, mother Isabella Melrose

The Gilles spelling varies!
    No joy with finding Uncle John in Galashiels. Nearest seems to be a John Gillie, but he is with an older Catherine Gillie poss his mother. She would seem to have maiden name Young and was married to a John Gillie.

In 1881 there is a John Gillies aged 28 Bank Clerk born Galashiels living at 18, Bridge Street, Melrose, Ladhope, Selkirkshire with wife Maggie Shaw Gillies & John’s brother Robert, aged 28.

In 1871 John & Robert are at the same address but with their parents, William & Agnes (Turnbull), and another brother named William, aged 15.

The 5 of them are also there in 1861, but in 1851 William & Agnes have a daughter named Betsy aged 5, and nephews & nieces named Watson.

William Gillies Sr died in 1874 and there is a will probated the following year.

If this is the John Gillis, Uncle, then he doesn't have a brother named Thomas!

Settling in

Quote Originally Posted by Lesley Robertson View Post
    Where did the marry?
    They married in Lyons N.Y where he was recovering from wounds in the Cuban war.Funny though his death certificate listed James as his father and Jane Stewart as his mother.I have all documents from all wars as I previously said

Settling in

Quote Originally Posted by Jomot1 View Post
    In 1881 there is a John Gillies aged 28 Bank Clerk born Galashiels living at 18, Bridge Street, Melrose, Ladhope, Selkirkshire with wife Maggie Shaw Gillies & John’s brother Robert, aged 28.

In 1871 John & Robert are at the same address but with their parents, William & Agnes (Turnbull), and another brother named William, aged 15.

The 5 of them are also there in 1861, but in 1851 William & Agnes have a daughter named Betsy aged 5, and nephews & nieces named Watson.

William Gillies Sr died in 1874 and there is a will probated the following year.

If this is the John Gillis, Uncle, then he doesn't have a brother named Thomas!
    My Thomas was born between 1871 and 1876 as my files say.He was suppose to come to Canada at about age 9after being raised in Birmingham till then. Not sure where he left from

Quote Originally Posted by lwyndhvn View Post
    My Thomas was born between 1871 and 1876 as my files say.He was suppose to come to Canada at about age 9after being raised in Birmingham till then. Not sure where he left from
    I know, and I can't find him, but this is the closest I can get to the uncle John in Galashiels.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast