Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thomas Sharples

Starting to feel at home

Default Thomas Sharples

I need help to get confirmatory evidence on the identity of Thomas Sharples, who was listed as No. 8. on the unofficial list of victims of the Haydock Pit explosion in 1878.

On the list, Thomas is said to be 22 years of age, so his birth would be around 1856.

He may be related to Thomas Sharples (b.1805/06) and another Thomas Sharples (b. 1836/37) both of whom lived at 52 Parr Road.

I have not been able to find the third Thomas Sharples in any of the Census returns, and would be particularly pleased to find either a birth/christening record, or a record of a Thomas born in 1856 in the 1861 or 1871 Census. Parents are believed to be Thomas Sharples b.1806, and Esther Holland/Sharples, b.1799.

Thomas Sharples was my 2x great-grandfather, and his son Thomas on the official victim list was my great-great-uncle.

I have tried without success using FamilySearch.org and the library free edition of Ancestry .com. Any help to clear up the mystery of the third Thomas would be greatly appreciated! Of copurse, the information on the unofficial list of vitims may be wrong!

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by sharples44 View Post
    I need help to get confirmatory evidence on the identity of Thomas Sharples, who was listed as No. 8. on the unofficial list of victims of the Haydock Pit explosion in 1878.

On the list, Thomas is said to be 22 years of age, so his birth would be around 1856.

He may be related to Thomas Sharples (b.1805/06) and another Thomas Sharples (b. 1836/37) both of whom lived at 52 Parr Road.
    From information I've seen (see end of message) the address should be 52 Park Road, Parr, Can you confirm that you've made an error?

I have not been able to find the third Thomas Sharples in any of the Census returns, and would be particularly pleased to find either a birth/christening record, or a record of a Thomas born in 1856 in the 1861 or 1871 Census. Parents are believed to be Thomas Sharples b.1806, and Esther Holland/Sharples, b.1799.
    Thomas born 1806 could be his father, but it's highly unlikely that Esther would have been his mother as she would have been 56/57 in 1856.

Thomas Sharples was my 2x great-grandfather, and his son Thomas on the official victim list was my great-great-uncle.
    With so many Thomases, it would be helpful if you would confirm exactly which one was your great-grandfather, and also give at least the 1871 census details for him, plus names of his parents.

I have tried without success using FamilySearch.org and the library free edition of Ancestry .com. Any help to clear up the mystery of the third Thomas would be greatly appreciated! Of copurse, the information on the unofficial list of vitims may be wrong!
    For anyone else who would like to help with this query:
    Googling 'Haydock Pit explosion 1878', I found this
    https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/LA...odPitExplosion

It begins with the 'Official list' of victims, with the 'unofficial list' at the bottom.
    For the Thomas Sharples listed as number 8 it says
    8. Thomas Sharples, 22 years.
    There are three "Thomas Sharples" listed in the Press but only two on the official list, a) Thomas Snr. aged 73 years who lives with his son Thomas jnr. aged 41, b) Thomas Sharples whose address is given as Park Road, Parr but he lodged with James Sharples in Haydock. it also states in the Press that he lost his brother and father in the explosion leading to the conclusion that there were three men named Thomas Sharples.
    The other two Thomases killed in the explosion are listed at number 115 and 135 in the official list.
    However, if you read the descriptions carefully, they imply that the elder Thomas (#135) had two sons called Thomas - which doesn't make sense. The younger Thomas' description says that he had a brother called William, who is not on the officisl list, but the William Sharples in the unofficial list (number 9) is listed as the son of Peter Sharples (number 99 on the official list).

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

There seem to be mistakes made on the casualty lists. For example
    99. Peter Sharples, 35 years.
    A collier, of Kenyon's Lane, Haydock who was identified
    by Alice Ann Owen, his step-daughter. James Owen (No.103)
    and William Sharples his son, who is unlisted in the
    official records, were his drawers. Buried at St.
    Thomas', Ashton, 15th June.

1871, Millfield Lane, Haydock, Piece: 3900; Folio: 69; Page number: 2
    Peter Sharples 33, collier, Houghton Tower
    Alice Sharples 42, Ashton in Makerfield
    Margaret Owen 16, dau, Haydock
    Haney Owen 14 Dau, Haydock
    Alice Hannah Owen 13 Dau, Haydock
    James Owen 8 Son, Haydock
    William Owen 6 Son, Haydock
    Robert Woodlock 34 Widor, Ashton in Makerfield
    Margaret Ellen Woodlock 8 Dau, Ashton in Makerfield
    William Woodlock 6 Son, Ashton in Makerfield

James Owen 14yrs; William Owen 12yrs; Peter Sharples 35yrs were all buried June 15th 1878 at St Thomas, Ashton in Makerfield.

Prescot, St Helens, 17 Aug 1868.
    Peter Sharples 29, bachelor, miner, abode St Thomas Eccleston, father Peter a miner
    Alice Owen 38, widow, abode St Helens, father William Woodcock a locksmith
    James and Catherine Hollows were the witnesses
    Alma

The Yorkshire Post & Leeds Intelligencer, 18 Jun 1878 in naming the latest victims "in addition to the lists previously published" included -
    Thomas Sharples, 41, Park Road, Parr, Collier, single
    Thomas Sharples, 73, Park Road, Parr, Collier, widower
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

An earlier list, published in the Newcastle Courant, 14 Jun 1878 named only -
    Thomas Sharples, married.

Starting to feel at home

Thankyou for all replies! My 2x great-grandfather was the Thomas Sharples b.1805, and his son, James b.1840 was my great-grandfather. In 1841, they were living in Parr Mill Lane, Prescot, Parr.

The 1851 Census gives their address as Greenoughs Row, Parr. In 1861, the Census address is Park Road, Parr.

I do not have an entry in the 1871 Census for Thomas b.1805. However, his son James b.1839 (sic) is shown as living at Toll Bar, Haydock, with Thomas Sharples b.1836 as a boarder.

I do not have any information on the parents of Thomas b. 1806, but his wife Esther Sharples b. 1799 as the daughter of Henry Holland and Sarah Hardman.

Personally, I think the 'third' Thomas Sharples actually is a mis-identification! I would like to know if Peter Sharples and his son, William, were related to my Sharples family. While my surname is Holland, my father was actually John Sharples, b.1909 in Bolton, Lancashire. Also, I would like to find the 1871 Census record for Thomas, b.1806, and details of his parents, if I can!

Am grateful for the replies so far, which have confirmed most of the information I already had, and also some new info!

Hi
    You may all have red the official report in case not

The list has at number 115
    Thomas Sharples age 41, a Collier of 52 Parr Road, Parr, a single man whose father Thomas (number 135) was the oldest victim of the disaster at 73 years of age. His brother William and Thomas were also killed but are not on the official list.
    ….
    List number 135
    Thomas Sharples age 73 years of Park Road, Parr, who was identified by James Sharples his two sons Thomas Junior number (115) and Thomas (unlisted) were also killed in the disaster Thomas was oldest casualty and a widow

…..

Number 8
    Thomas Sharples, 22 years listed in the Press but only two were listed on the official list there are three Thomas Sharples listed in the Press, Thomas aged 73 living at Park Road but he lodged with James Sharples in Haydock, in the press he states he also lost a brother and his father.

Ed

FMP burials (image/transcript)
    Thomas Sharples, age 73, buried 15th Jun 1878 at St. Peter's (Parr), abode Parr
    Thomas Sharples, age 41, buried 15th Jun 1878 at St. Peter's (Parr), abode Parr

Confirms newspaper report at #4. Yet to find a burial for a 22 yr old Thomas Sharples at that time.

Hi

Wondered if this may help
    St Peter’s Parr, Burials
    Grave purchased by James Sharples.
    In one grave are listed below.
    Thomas Sharples 7th June 1878 age 74 years
    Thomas Sharples 7th June 1878 age 41
    Emily Sharples 24th February 1879 age 19 Months
    Martha Sharples 19th March 1883 age 59
    Ann Waine 10th June 1900 age 37
    James Northy 10th June 1900 age 3 months
    Ashes, George Ashcroft.
    Ashes, Jane Williams

Ed.

I would like to know if Peter Sharples and his son, William
    I don't think William is Peter Sharples's son the confusion may come from his father being PETER, but Peter OWEN, not SHARPLES.

Birth reg.
    OWEN, WILLIAM, MMN WOODCOCK
    GRO Reference: 1865 S Quarter in WARRINGTON Volume 08C Page 113

See 1871 census at #3 where William is entered as William OWEN, I believe this to be his birth reg with mother's maiden name Woodcock, we know Peter Sharples wife's maiden name was Woodcock as on her marriage to Peter Sharples she names her father as WOODCOCK. Alice Owen's first husband, Peter Owen, didn't die until 1867.

Death registration
    OWEN, PETER, age 50
    GRO Reference: 1867 S Quarter in WARRINGTON Volume 08C Page 99

1861, Millfield Lane, RG 9; Piece: 2788; Folio: 108; Page: 16;
    Peter Owen 43
    Alice Owen 34
    Margret Owen 5
    Nancy Owen 3
    Alice A Owen 1
    Alma

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast