Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default My grandads war record

Hi I have my grandads war record but I am having trouble understanding then would like to know where he was and what he did.
    Trying to find someone that can help my dad would like to know my grandad would not really talk about it we know he spoke a few languages any help would be great

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hello Greg,

Welcome to British-Genealogy.

I haven't yet seen a copy of army service records so have no idea what information might be in them.
    Presumably some of the details are straightforward, so tell us one piece you're stuck on. 'We' (as in the clever people who understand military stuff - which means 'not me') need column headings and then a couple of lines relating to your grandfather.
    It might also help if you tell us the name of your grandfather's regiment.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Hi thanks for reply I can take some pics of his records that they gave my dad he got them from the government records not the company who gave me this site. I did not know the best way to share them. Is there a way to send them to you or a best place to upload them thanks

I expect that in the first instance you are referring to Forces War Records, and if so, this will explain the connection between us.
    https://www.british-genealogy.com/fo...rs-Please-Read

These are the instructions for uploading images.
    https://www.british-genealogy.com/fo...os-on-Brit-Gen

However, you need to remember that anything you post will be available to the world as a whole for ever, so do think twice before putting whole pages of images online.

Pam

Hi and yes they did they said there are people on here who may be able to help so thought would give it a try but didn't know who to talk to. Was hoping some one could point me in the right direction

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Davies View Post
    Hi and yes they did they said there are people on here who may be able to help so thought would give it a try but didn't know who to talk to. Was hoping some one could point me in the right direction
    As I've said, start by telling us one bit you're stuck on, and then we can take it from there.

Someone might have a copy of army service records so can 'talk' you through the various headings. (I'll be watching this thread with interest as it might help with understanding my dad's records when I finally get them. )

Pam

It would help if you tell us which war you are talking about. The records are different, and as Pam says, if we don’t know what you are stuck on, it’s impossible to help.
    If it’s WW1, give us his name, number & regiment and we can get a copy from one of the big databases. Then we will be able to see which section is giving a problem.
    If it’s WW2, that’s a bit harder as those records are not online and you will either have to give us the name of the section and what doesn’t make sense, or photograph the bit of the page and upload it Pam has already given you a link to the instructions for uploading.
    We are all volunteers who enjoy doing this sort of thing, but we can’t answer questions if they are not asked.

People often have troubles with these records, largely because they were intended for military use, not for civilians near a century later, but they can be interpreted.

Quote Originally Posted by Lesley Robertson View Post
    It would help if you tell us which war you are talking about. The records are different, and as Pam says, if we don’t know what you are stuck on, it’s impossible to help.
    If it’s WW1, give us his name, number & regiment and we can get a copy from one of the big databases. Then we will be able to see which section is giving a problem.
    If it’s WW2, that’s a bit harder as those records are not online and you will either have to give us the name of the section and what doesn’t make sense, or photograph the bit of the page and upload it Pam has already given you a link to the instructions for uploading.

We are all volunteers who enjoy doing this sort of thing, but we can’t answer questions if they are not asked.

People often have troubles with these records, largely because they were intended for military use, not for civilians near a century later, but they can be interpreted.

Me bad.
    For some unknown reason I assumed Greg meant WW2.
    I'll go and do some housework for an hour as penance!**

Pam

**It's an 'in' joke that genealogists like our forum members don't understand the meaning of such words as ironing, washing, vacuum cleaner, etc, because we spend all our time on the forum.

Hi yes I understand I have not got the paperwork to hand it is at my dad's. My question was to see if there is anyone out there that dose this type of thing then was going to talk to them. like pat said you don't really want to just put the documents for the whole world to see. Thanks for reply though I will get some info off my dad and upload it

There are professional genealogists around. I have no doubt that if you want that sort of service, one of our members will be able to suggest someone.

We take whatever information people provide and do our best to run with it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast