Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Elizabeth Calvey b. 1836

Elizabeth Calvey married Richard Clarkson in Spilsby, Lincolnshire on 7 May 1863. A newspaper announcement stated that Elizabeth was the youngest daughter of the late Edward Calv(e)y of Paddington.

Prior to her marriage, I can find Elizabeth on only one census; in 1861 when she is living in Langton by Spilsby, Lincolnshire where she is employed as a schoolmistress. Her place of birth is stated as Dover, Kent in 1836.

Her marriage certificate shows her father Edward's occupation as a tailor.

I can find no trace of Elizabeth prior to 1861. There does not appear to be anyone with the surname of Calvey in either Kent or London. I cannot find any trace of her father's death either so this is currently a bit of a brickwall.

I am aware of a Calvey family in Wiltshire at the time and also in the Liverpool area but can find no link to them.

Have you looked at the Elizabeth Calvey b. abt 1839 Clatworthy, Somerset? In the 1851 she's a visitor in Taunton. HoH is Thomas Bellamy, 50, taylor. Wife Sarah, 50.
    Geographically far out, but the only one I can find.

Both the 1841 and 1851 also offer Elizabeth Calvird (Calvert) in Yorkshire. In the 1841, her father is something to do with worsted spinning.

Searching Cavey turns up another possibility in Lincs, but Dad's (Thomas) an Ag Lab.

To be a schoolmistress, she must have had a reasonable education..

I can't find her either. I assume that you've tried other spellings? Cavey throws up a couple of hits...

To be a school mistress, she must have had a reasonable education. It might be worth contacting the Lincoln Archives to see whether that have anything on her, perhaps in her professional capacity. I'm not sure whether Spilsby still has their own library, but if they do, it may have a local history section.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by AFoster View Post
    Elizabeth Calvey married Richard Clarkson in Spilsby, Lincolnshire on 7 May 1863. A newspaper announcement stated that Elizabeth was the youngest daughter of the late Edward Calv(e)y of Paddington.

Prior to her marriage, I can find Elizabeth on only one census; in 1861 when she is living in Langton by Spilsby, Lincolnshire where she is employed as a schoolmistress. Her place of birth is stated as Dover, Kent in 1836.

I can find no trace of Elizabeth prior to 1861. There does not appear to be anyone with the surname of Calvey in either Kent or London. I cannot find any trace of her father's death either so this is currently a bit of a brickwall.

I am aware of a Calvey family in Wiltshire at the time and also in the Liverpool area but can find no link to them.

There is a tree on Ancestry showing Elizabeth Calvey born 1836 Dover, died 1885 Lincolnshire. IS this your tree?

Famous for offering help & advice

The only link I can see to the surname Calvy and Paddington as a location is the death in 1844 of Margaret Calvy. Her burial on 18 July 1844 says she was 8 & 3/4 and gives an address of Torrington Mews, Paddington.

A possibility for Elizabeth in the 1851 census at New Ormond Street, St Andrew Holborn lists an E(?) Calvey aged 16 born Maidstone, Scholar in the School - HO107/1513/313/35

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

I've tried various spellings but nothing came to light. I agree she must have had a reasonable education but it doesn't look like the family was settled in any one place. My information is she was born in Dover, moved to Lincolshire to take up employment but her father was "late of Paddington". Thanks for the suggestion on the Lincoln Archives.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

It may be a cousin of mine who has obtained this information from me. My tree is not on Ancestry but his is.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

This looks very useful, thank you. I assume there would be a death certificate for 1844 so it may be worth a little investment in this as well as exploring further in this area.

If it is your Elizabeth in the school in 1851, and I'm inclined to think it is (a good find by Jomot), you may be interested in these links which have some information about the school.

https://www.ucl.ac.uk/bloomsbury-pro...nts_school.htm

https://www.google.co.uk/books/editi...sec=frontcover
    Alma

Who witnessed the marriage?
    Alma

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast